Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual Tranny Noise

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WRENCH-HEAD, Mar 10, 2006.

1. WRENCH-HEAD

WRENCH-HEAD 1/2 ton status

About a month ago I purchased a 95 two door tahoe with the nv3500 manual tranny in it. I have noticed a whining/rattling sound when the truck is neutral at a stop with the clutch out. When you press in the clutch the sound goes away? It also grinds going into reverse if you don't sit for a couple of seconds with the clutch pressed in. Any ideas? TIA

-Alex

2. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

The first problem sound like your throw out bearing on your clutch, so figure on putting a clutch in it soon and don't wait to long or you can spin that bearing and gall your in put shaft sleeve.

The second problem my not be a problem at all because reverse is non-syncronized and it takes a second or two for the gears to stop spinning inside. I have driven plenty of trucks that do that and also do it in the non-sync. first gear of the older tranys, you get used to it.

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Agree with the clutch thing....sounds like it's almost time.

4. WRENCH-HEAD

Thanks, that is what I thought just wanted to verify. I don't have much faith in the NV 3500.

--Alex

5. WRENCH-HEAD

I called a guy I know that works at a tranny shop and he said that if it was the throwout bearing it would make noise when the clutch was depressed not released. Any input on this. The clutch and throwout bearing were on my "to do" list, but if this is true I might be adding more. Any thoughts?

--Alex

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

It will make noise ,if bad, when under starin while being depressed for sure but you can also have a noise coming from the bearing dancing around the input collar for several reasons which is what you might be hearing.

Those tranny's are also known for bearing wear as the miles rack up. The ATF that is used in them does not give the bearings what they need for lube film thickness. You might be hearing the bearing rattle too.

Tom

7. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

I have had several t/o bearings make noise when setting and then stop/change sound when the pedal is pressed, just my .02.

8. WRENCH-HEAD

I'm gonna go ahead and change the clutch and the bearing and see what that does. Thanks for the info.

--Alex