Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual tranny noise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hoss, Oct 28, 2001.

1. Hoss

Hoss Registered Member

I have a manual transmission in my 82 Suburban. It makes an even and very audible whiring noise thats linked to speed (rather than pressure) when in motion or when stopped in netruel with the clutch out (with clutch in, its quite). The shift sticks seems to be a speaker for the tranny, like the sound radiats up the shaft. I get the feeling I could quite the noise by somehow muffleing the area where the stick connects tot he tranny. I don't think you can hear it from outside the truck (maybe if you got underneither and close to tranny).

The previous owner said it had been like that the entire time he owned it for 3 years. He also said his mechanic told him it was normal for some of these trucks. I asked a mechanic friend about it and he said it seems reasonable, but hes not a truck guy.

What do you guys think?

-C
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.theonespot.com/myrides/suburban>1982 K20 Silverado Suburban</a>

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd say ignore it. If it's too annoying to stand, get the transmission rebuilt.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

Probably the clutch bearing. And it is normal on some to make a noise.If its been like that for 3 years i wouldnt worry about it.

<font color=red>A BIG HAMMER CAN FIX ANYTHING.... </font color=red>[​IMG]

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I would have to guess that on yours you have a hydro clutch.
    If that is the case then what you are hearing is the throwout bearing. Normal on a hydrastic clutch.
    If it starts to get louder over time then a new one will be needed.
    When I hear mine I just adjust the linkage. But I have a regular manual linkage. Hydraulic units do not have this option.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>