Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual tranny swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1HighK5, May 26, 2005.

1. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

Well since I can't find the right NP205 and my SM465 tranny is kinda beat any hows I think it would be easier to just change the whole thing to the 70 SM465/NP205 combo I have. I just recently put in a new Centerforce clutch I don't want to loose it. Can I just unbolt the 4 bolts that hold the tranny to the bell housing an slide it out and slide the new one in with out a problem. I need details on this, tips ect... Also now that I am using a 70 combo with the 10 spline coupler is that strong enough to hold up to regular off road abuse?

2. nkldrgr

nkldrgr Registered Member

You don't even need to unbolt the bell housing. If your 70 combo has bell, it will bolt right in. The only thing that you'll need to do is use your origional shifter. The 72 and earlier (should) have an almost straight shifter. The later ones are curved to clear the dash. If you use a 72 and earlier shifter, you'll change your radio station evertime you go into third gear.

3. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

Thank you for the info The engine is in the truck all together I'm hoping I can just unbolt the tranny off the back while the engine is being held up and slide in the 70 unit and put the shifter on after it is in the truck. when I pull the the tranny will anything come out with it or will eveything stay in place to slide the new tranny in?

4. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

Also I am a little concerned about the 10 spline coupler I plane on running 40's with a D44 HD and a 14 bolt FF with 4:56 gears and after this clutch goes a stout 350 will go in, will the 10 spline hold up I'm a little heavy on the gas sometimes but most of my off roading is mild woods action and beach running.

5. nkldrgr

nkldrgr Registered Member

Id be more worried about the Dana 44. I've run the stock 10 spline in my '71 all through the rubicon, hammers, moab, and Glamis (sand is cool :cool1: ). I keep an NOS coupler in my tool box just in case, but never had a problem

6. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks For the info I was going to do just that get a few couplers and keep em around. The Dana 44HD I have is all I could get because up here in New York all the yards want a grand or more for their Dana 60's I just don't have the funds The 44 is in good shape and was cheep from a friend so it will have to do until I find a D60 cheep enough.