Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual Tranny

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mud hungry, Oct 6, 2004.

1. mud hungry

mud hungry 1/2 ton status

I have a 84 K5 Blazer that has the chevy 350. it also has a 4 speed manual in it. what type tranny is it how strong is it? what type of horses power can it withstand> and along with that how is the transfer case. if these are not good options (by the way I am looking to put about 350-400 horsepower to them) what would anyone recommend?
    Mud Hungry /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It's an SM 465 and a NP 208 transfer case.

They will work fine for all the power you can put to them, and then some. The NP 208 isn't the strongest but you will probably not break it.

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

208 is chain drive, not the strongest in the world but stronger tan the 203. It should hold up if you don't hammer it too hard. Also has an alum case which is lighter but will crack like an egg if you drop it on a rock.

The tranny should take whatever you can throw at it.

As for recommendations I would take that tranny and put a 205 behind it. No chain drive to stretch, no slip yoke, and strong cast iron case. Downside is the comparatively crappy 1.96:1 low range vs the 2.61:1 low range of the 208.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    208 is chain drive, not the strongest in the world but stronger tan the 203. It should hold up if you don't hammer it too hard. Also has an alum case which is lighter but will crack like an egg if you drop it on a rock.

The tranny should take whatever you can throw at it.

As for recommendations I would take that tranny and put a 205 behind it. No chain drive to stretch, no slip yoke, and strong cast iron case. Downside is the comparatively crappy 1.96:1 low range vs the 2.61:1 low range of the 208.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus he'd have to find a 32 spline 205 and the correct adaptor. I found it easier to replace my 465/208 with a complete 465/205 and called it a day.

I personally feel the 203 is a fair bit stronger than the 208. The reduction is provided by a constant mesh gear box rather than a comparitively weak planetary set, plus the cast iron case is a lot more durable. I've never compared chain size, but even if the 203's wasn't larger I'd still give it the nod as far as strength went.

Rene

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

what makes the planetary in the 208 weak?
    planetary gears are usually much stronger then single countershaft gears due to the increase contact of 3 or more planet gears

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The actual planetary is pretty strong, but the range collar is a weak design IMO.

Rene