Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual transmission conversion, anyone have parts?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by sled_dog, Jul 18, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My 4l80e has to go. Its holding my truck back and I want a manual again damnit. I learned that the torque converter alone on a 4l80e weighs in the neighborhood of 80lbs, that would help explain being such a dog. Its NV4500 conversion time. No one happens to have clutch assembly stuff laying around do they? I have no clue where to get this stuff for such a new truck.

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

I would suggest searching out some wrecking yards that deal in late model trucks. The pressure plate and clutch aren't anything special, it would be best to put in new parts anyway, the flywheel will have to be for the one piece rear seal crankshaft. If you want an NV-4500 I think the bellhousing only fits the NV-4500 and isn't going to be a common item. It would be to your advantage to find a wrecked truck with the set-up in it you want and get everything you need, It won't be cheap, but buying all the separate pieces won't be either, if it all comes from the same truck you'll know it's the right combination of parts.

3. 1997gmcpuller

1997gmcpuller Newbie

Sled Dog- I just did the conversion on my 89 1ton dually. I swapped out the TH400 and dropped in a 1997 NV4500. I am from Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. 450 miles from you. Anyway, The wreckers I dealt with has all the parts you need. My tranny I got is a 2wd unit but it came totally rebuilt with everything new including the imput and out put shafts. I also got the whole clutch pedal assembly and hydrolics, the fly wheel, belhousing and the clutch. Grand total was $2600CDN which if I do the math that is $1850US. For that price you can't go wrong and comes with every nut and bolt you need. Now here is the real kicker....if you would be intrested I work at a trucking company and it would cost you around $200US to have it shipped to your door. The hardest part in the whole conversion was to get the clutch pedal assembly in which was a little pain. untill I realized that in order to get it bolted up you had to take the outside wiper/vent cowl thingy off giving you axcess to bolt the pedal up. Other than that it was pretty simple and took me 2 days.

I am going to be converting my truck over to 4wd this winter but I am keeping the 2wd trany and using a dodge np205 and running a chevy D60 up front. Also my other reason for running the NV4500 was to swap in a 5.9 Cummins:) this winter and all I need for that is the cummins belhousing and a new input shaft.

Power wise...what a change. It was gutlus before and couldn't even begin to turn the tires. Now I can just let off nice and slow on the cluth and it can turn them with out a problem let alone dumping the old clutch at 4K /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif My main reason for the swap was the gas millage, I only have a 350 and with the 4:10's it was getting at the best 8mpg. Now after the swap and having OD and not touching the rear I am getting an amazing 15mpg and I now love driving the truck.

Sorry for the long story.....Ryan

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sounds like me, if I ever get the money together, can't do it now. I am getting at best 10mpg I have oversized tires, 4.10s and the 350.

5. LUBA

LUBA 1/2 ton status

What do you want for your 4l80e?

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I won't be selling it since i don't have any money to do the conversion. Someday.