Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual transmission noise

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pvfjr, Feb 8, 2005.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I'm suddenly getting a lot of noise in my '81 Datsun pickup's 5-speed. It's kinda like a rattle, had it in lower gears first, but now it's in all of them. I've looked for nissan/datsun forums, but have had little luck. I don't even know what tranny I have or what I might be able to swap it with. Does anyone know anything about these?

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Sounds mostly like bearings to me.

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

could be bearings or the idler gears.shift folrk could be worn also,letting the gears get sloppy.doesnt sound good whatever it is.

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

After driving a little more, I've noticed that there's suddenly a lot more play in the stick. I can actually twist it left and right, and pull it up and down. It stops the noise too when I mess with it, but it doesn't seem like the noise is coming directly from the stick. I know, I'm asking for a lot of double entendres here, but didn't see a way around it. Would it be the forks then? I don't really understand what brought this on so quickly.