Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual Transmission

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kittykat4, Sep 26, 2006.

1. kittykat4

kittykat4 Registered Member

:laugh: Hey guys, I just purchased a 1986 Chevy K5 Blazer 4x4 with manual transmission. I have a few questions ok? 1. will this thing be difficult to drive? and 2. does anyone have a manual trans blazer? and do you like it?

this is my first project truck and i am curious to know what you guys think i should do. I read a lot of articles from 4wheel parts and i plan on painting this toy bright orange with black rims and tires.

any input would be great. i will be posting photos of her this weekend!!!:wink1:

2. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

Do you like shifting gears? I had a 700R4 in my K5 but swapped in a SM465 and I love it. It does get a little irritating because you cant shift fast, its like driving a school bus. But you have the power when you need it and they are indistructable!!! I would swap in a racing cluth if you have bigger tires or are planning on some large meats, I have a Centerforce racing clutch and the hydro pedal is pretty stiff but its worth it. When I let out that pedal, I am gonna GO!! No slipping or burnt clutches anymore...good luck!

3. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Congrats!!! :waytogo:

A stick isn't hard to drive but its not for everyone. I drive my 85 K10 with the same trans on a daily basis. If you are not used to it, it almost feels like you are driving a school bus. :crazy:

Also I dig the orange paint!

4. kittykat4

well i do ride a 2004 gsxr 750 crotch rocket so i know how to shift but have never done it in a car yet.

thanks for the info

5. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

wanna sell your bike? Naw I would kill myself. Riding a bike and driving a big a$$ truck is something completely different. It will be fun to learn...

6. kittykat4

yeah, but i have been told its not that hard. This is my first project bike, i think it will be fun. I am looking forward to painting her bright Orange with black rims and tires and calling her "ORANGE DREAM MACHINE"

7. Myke

Myke Registered Member

you mean project truck.

8. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

i like to do burn outs in my trucky, its fun and an adrenalin rush!!LOL standard is awsome!!! :saweet:

9. kittykat4

opps yeah hahahahaha

10. kittykat4

ok well here is another quick question.

Right now there are old bf goodrich all terrain 245/75/r15 on my truck now

whats the biggest upgrade i can go to with out having to adjust the suspension. my friends have added bigger tires on their new trucks and gave it a 2-3" lift just with tires.

Is this possible with my truck as well?:confused:

11. Myke

Myke Registered Member

Whoa those are small! I'd say you could put 33x12.5 w/ minor trimming.

12. kittykat4

great

thank you

13. chevy wrangler

my dads 3/4 ton runs 33 with no trimmin and no lift

14. kittykat4

thank you

15. chevy wrangler

here are some pics of my dads truck with 33"s:D
    new pics007.jpg

new pics008.jpg

new pics007.jpg

new pics008.jpg

16. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

yep, depends on flex tho. you could fit 35's in there, in some cases you may have to do very minor trimming, but if you wan't to flex at all, this is not the way to go. i recently swapped in the manual tranny in place of the existing 700r4 behind my diesel, and at this point i'm swearing to never buy a vehicle with an automatic transmission again. the control, added power, and durability are a combination that just can't be beat. plus, with the granny gear and the t-case in lo range, it will be next to impossible to stall/stop that rig on any thing. in this situation it's even difficult to do with the brakes (and i've got hydroboost brakes on my diesel!).

17. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I also just swapped in a sm465 in place of my automatic and love it. more power and that super low first gear is fun. after killing 2 automatics I will prolly never have one again even though they are still good trannies, I like having the piece of mind that I wont kill it, unless I dont maintain it of course.

18. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah you can but something to keep in mind is the gears in your axles. If you go up in the tires then you are going to lose your bottom end power but since you have an SM465 you have a very low 1st so you could get away with a little larger tire.
    As far as fitting it that is a matter of personal opinion. Cut the fenders if you don't care. Add a small lift. Maybe zero rates?

Oh and its great to see another Fresno member! Welcome!

-Avery

19. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Duder,

Did you say
    "well i do ride a 2004 gsxr 750 crotch rocket so i know how to shift but have never done it in a car yet.

thanks for the info"

and does that mean you have never driven a car with a stick? I am not trying to rain on your parade, but I've driven a lot of scooters, including taking my '04 GSXR to Willow Springs, and it is not the same as changing gears in a big 'ol truck...not that you won't get used to it, but it is different. Here is my two cents, if the above statement is true (if it isn't then flame me and I'll apologize) then I would strongly suggest mucho time practicing driving until you get your truck in any sort of precarious position...shifting a truck is differnet than a motorcycle (or even a Honda civic for that matter), but when you are about to flop and have to dance on the pedals...well, it can be down right interesting...

P.S. I echo what the other dudes said, I swapped in my 465 in place of TH400 and am glad I did it! and Orange is an awesome color!

20. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

465s are awesome. i've got one in my dd and i love it. it's the transmission i learned to drive on. it can't shift quick but it sure is tough.