Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

manual valve body or full automatic?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Seventy4Blazer, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

what would you do if you had your way for a trail only rig?
    Grant
    oh yeah it is a TH350

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Full manual. For a trail only rig this would be no big deal at all, especially with a TH350. I am actually thinking about going to a full manual valve body on my daily driver. I shift the gears on my own most of the time anyway. I don't know how it would work with my 700R-4 lockup converter though. That is my only real concern, other then my Dad might get pissed off if he ever decided to drive my truck again. He almost sh!t on himself when I told him I was going to put in 4.56 gears.

3. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

How would full manual on a daily driver work? For downshifting wouldnt that beat the hell out of the tranny? For a full trail rig, especially rocks, that would be a good idea. Please explain - I just might learn something.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Off roading beats the crap out of trannies anyway.

My off-road only rig will have a manual valve body TH 400 or a SM 465. I like manuals better for the road, but only time will tell what I think of them in the mud. For now, I'm putting together my daily driver/trail thrasher with an SM 465. Later on, the 4 speed will probably go to my daily driver and I'll get a 400/205 combo for my trail rig.

I think the only disadvantage of a manual is having to step on the clutch and loosing all your wheelspeed. That's why I think a TH 400 with a manual valve body will give me complete control of my gears, just like the manual, with no cluch (so if she bogs down in the mud put just hit the rachet shifter and solve that problem).

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have a TH400 with a J.W. Performance Transmissions reverse manual valve body and I LOVE IT! Having to shift it all the time will become second nature after you start driving it. I run mine with a B&M Pro Stick shifter. Most ratchet shifters have a reverse lockout feature, shifters with this are intended to force you to use 2 hands to put it in reverse thus preventing shifting mistakes. Since this is inconvenient to 4 wheeling I disabled the part that required the second hand, I still have to squeeze the trigger to get into reverse but I can keep my other hand on the steering wheel.

There are a few things to consider when you go shopping :

1) shift pattern (PRN321 OR PRN123) - I chose the reverse patten (PRN123) which puts reverse and 1st close together. This also applies to the shifter, be sure the 2 are compatible.
    2) "freewheeling" - this term refers to how the trans will act when downshifting. If the valve body "freewheels" then when you downshift it will act like neutral if you are BELOW the RPM equivalent to your speed (vise versa it will pull normally ABOVE the RPM equivalent to your speed).
    3) no more passing gear - remember ALL gear changes are managed by YOU now - no matter what!

I also thought that having a manual valve body would guarantee harsh shifts every time (I thought it would be cool to bark 44's in 2nd!). This is NOT the case, the harshness of the shift is directly related to the transmissions internal pump pressure, the pump pressure is directly related to RPM's. If you are at full throttle then the shift will be hard, if you are at part throttle the shift will be proportionately softer. A shift kit can provide a harsher, crisper shift if that is your goal.

I've had my setup for about 8 years now and I would not change it. Hope this helps.

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

yes, it does. very much. but, honestly i knew most of this info. i had a 69 chevelle with a powerglide(powerslide) and a manual valve body. my MAIN question, with the reverse shift pattern is it a nice thing off road? or is it a pain?
    thanks again for your help.
    grant

7. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking of going to a reverse bodies TH400. I think having reverse and first next to each other would be nice because you don't have jump over 2 and 3 all the time when you are manuvering in tight situations.

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I am going to an Art Carr reverse manual valve body with full compression brakeing on my TH400, Art Carr is the only one that makes a full compression valve body, I will be going with the Art Carr gate shifter as well.

9. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

steve, that sig pic is sick. Just sick.