Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual Valve Body

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ak-k25, Jul 31, 2004.

1. ak-k25

ak-k25 Registered Member

Long time reader, first time posting. The TCI manual valve body kit came with my rebuild kit for my T-400, wondering how a manual valve body is in a DD? The kit says it retains normal auto capabilites when put into Drive, but heard it is a FULL manual elsewhere. ANyone have any suggestions on running a MVB on a DD? Thanks

2. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I had a full manual reverse pattern (P-R-N-1-2-3) valve body once. It was ok with a ratchet shifter, it would have sucked with a column shifter. If yours stays auto in drive then you should be ok on the street.

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Long time reader, first time posting. The TCI manual valve body kit came with my rebuild kit for my T-400, wondering how a manual valve body is in a DD? The kit says it retains normal auto capabilites when put into Drive, but heard it is a FULL manual elsewhere. ANyone have any suggestions on running a MVB on a DD? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome first time poster dude!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif When you get some time, fill out your profile and it will help us to help you.. Maybe your right around the block from someone on here. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

What came in the kit? a seperator plate and springs and shift valves? or the entire valve body?
    I put a TCI reverse shifting Full Manual valve body in my '67 camaro, it ran about $150 and was a complete valve body with seperator plate ready to bolt up to your tranny.. It is totally manual. You leave it in 3 and it will take off in 3 from a stop. You are always rowing through the gears. Ask yourself if you think you want this in a daily driver, i'm glad i only put a shift kit in my DD for that reason. The manual valve body doesn't seem as harsh on the 1-2 shift, as the stage2 shift kit i had in there before, the only way i can try to explain it is shift kits seem to build up and then explode into the next gear, where the manual valve body took away some of the harshness and its just extremely positive and very fast going into the next gear. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif
    I really like the reverse shifting pattern in my car now, with my b&m shifter, instead of trying to push the shifter foreward into the next gear, when you are pushed back in your seat you can kind of use the G's of the car to 'Pull' the shifter back into the next gear..
    Also if your slamming the shifter and its out of adjustment or it breaks, you are slamming it down towards towards 2nd and 3rd... Instead of up towards Neutral Reverse and Park at WOT!. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Off road you'll like a reverse pattern b/c 1st and Reverse are close together now.
    Only other thing i can tell you, with that TCI manual valve body, it eliminates 'engine braking' in 1st and 2nd gear.. you actually remove the 2nd gear band inside the tranny. You only have engine braking in 3rd gear, so your brakes better be in good condition as i noticed you can't use the engine to slow you down at all. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    Art Carr makes a valve body that retains the engine braking you might want to look into. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

For my DD '72 K5 i have a stage 2 shift kit and a tci ratchet shifter on the floor.. I can leave it in D and it will shift hard automatically and chrip 2nd gear often.. but when i ever want to wind it higher and shift it manually i can grab the shifter and do just that. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I had a full manual in my K5, I have to say I liked the column shifter more than I would a ratchet, just because with all that shifting I'd get tired of reaching down to piss with that lever when I'd rather have it right by my hand on the steering wheel.