Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual Vs. Aoutomatic locking hubs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90idahoblazer, Aug 23, 2001.

1. 90idahoblazer

90idahoblazer 1/2 ton status

What are the main differences between the two...are the manual stronger....do you get better gas milage with manual....my 90 has automatic...should I stay with them?
    Thanks

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> The autos go to hell in a hand basket all the time ........the manuals are stronger and are much better !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !

3. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

yea, but they sure are convienent.
    i hate hate having to get out and go thru the mud to lock my warns when i am just messing around and need 4 wheel drive for about a minute.
    i am considering swapping to auto just for convienenc, because i do no serious off road and limited offroad at all
    the manuals are way more substantial however

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> The only advantage I see is the not having to lock em in from outside, but all you have to do is lock em before you get in too deep.

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Warn makes a better quality auto hub than the OEM units. Personally, I'd be happy to get ahold of a set of old time Selectro manual hubs.

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

6. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

that would be the advantage i was thinking of
    most of the off roadin around here is trail riding that could mostly be done in a mini van, with a few exceptions, and those areas you always think you can make it through in 2, until you get half way and go oops, the carpets about to get real muddy now

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?

7. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

if you don't like walking through mud try snowshoes i have yet to try but i'm sure it would work.

scott,
    1989 suburban 3/4t 4" lift soon to be rollin on 33s, tbi350

8. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i bet they would be hard to drive in
    how do you press the pedals?

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?

9. 89k5blazr

89k5blazr Registered Member

set cruise control... no?

1989 K5 350 ci TBI

10. 90idahoblazer

Well Im not convinced on the manual hubs yet...are there anymore inputs out there????

11. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I'll tell you that unless you are doing really gnarly stuff, a well maintained set of automatics is fine. There are other downsides, like the fact that they normally won't engage if you are going backwards. All in all though, the autos are fine for all around use.

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

12. 90idahoblazer

thanks pugs.....I will just leave well enough alone ...if it aint broke dint fix it...right??

13. 90idahoblazer

thanks pugs.....I will just leave well enough alone ...if it aint broke dont fix it...right??

14. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

One thing I would advise is to pick up a spare hub in the boneyard, and carry it with you - If they do decide to grenade, it's usually a hundred miles from anywhere[​IMG]

Dos mas Tecates!!!

15. 90idahoblazer

got ya!!! I will do that.....I built this nifty spare parts and things box that fits perfect in the back just for that reason....

16. Manual hubs really are more reliable. Most times you know when you are going to be using 4 wheel drive, just stop at the top off the trail (where it is relatively dry) and lock the hubs. Only engage the transfer case when you need it. On dirt, mud, snow, sand, etc. it won,t hurt anything to have the front wheels locked in.

God has a hard on for Marines, because we keep Heaven chock full of fresh souls!

17. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I just installed manuals last night. I have never had a problem with the reliability of my original auto hubs, but their functionality is an issue. I had manual hubs on my Jeep many years ago. It was simple. You get out and lock the hubs as soon as you hit the trail. Then, when you need to go 4WD, simply shift the tcase and they immediately engage. With autos, the only step you skip is the initial getting out. But the problem with autos is that they take some distance to actually engage. If you get stuck before you hit 4WD in auto hubs, forget it. Manuals help you here. And, I have had problems in the past with getting my autos to disengage.

Because of these things and the fact that it took only 10 minutes per side to install the manuals, I went manual. And as far as getting out, isn't that a good idea when you first hit the trail anyway? Air down, check everything on the truck, check the trail a little. Seems like a good idea to me. Just flying from the highway up the trail and never stopping or getting out isn't too normal for me.

Just my .02

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>
    Who put a stop payment on my reality check?!?

18. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Don't run automatics. I am saying this from experience. I had a set on my 89. I took good care of them, and they let me down BIG TIME!!! Almost to the point of costing me my truck and my life. I was on my way to work doing 75-80 mph when the front hubs decided to lock. The resulting damage was every bearing and seal in the ENTIRE driveline let go, not to mention u-joints. virtually everything locked up and sent me damn near into a concrete wall. Even GM will tell you that these hubs if WELL maintained will only last for 20-25,000 miles. I don't know about anyone else, but that's a years worth for me.

Convieniance, I don't think so. Not when your hoofing it cause they didn't lock when you needed them (or locked when you DIDN'T want them too). I like to be able to tell when I'm locked in, not hope that they are working.

Just my $0.02, but get a good set of manual hubs.

Kyle
    89K5

19. 90idahoblazer

Are Warn hubs the best after market to put on....where is the best place to buy them?

20. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

I never liked auto hubs, and after reading all of this, I think I'm going to get rid of the autos on my Blazer. I've heard Warn is good, but I don't have much experience with manual hubs. I take it I can get everything I need to convert to manual hubs from NAPA?

Dan Oglesby
    1984 K10 Blazer, 6.2L diesel, 700R4