Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual Window Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Intense3123, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Intense3123

Intense3123 Newbie

I have an 86 with a rear manual window crank. Last year the back window was covered in ice and when I tried rolling it down, pop bang, now crank spins freely with no tension. My question: is the whole window regulator shot, or I've heard something about a little clutch inside them that can also go out. Also, anyone have any idea on where to get new parts for it, I've looked all over the internet and couldn't find anything

Thanks for any info

2. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

3. ZfromNJ

ZfromNJ Registered Member

I recently replaced my whole taigate handle. IT isnt that hard but you need to be careful because there are a couple of small aprts that need to be looked after that are crucial to the crank. ANd yes there is a small clutch like object that could go and you either have to replace it or maybe it just snapped out.

{crazy}

4. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

there is a series of parts involved with your rear window crank. there is a u shaped clamp that attaches around the window regulator crank. this u shaped piece is pot metal and breakes very easily, you could call it a fuse. this is held on by an o-jesus clip (E clip) contact your local chevy dealer, I believe that I bought mine for around 13 dollars.
    Most likely this will be your problem.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

5. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I bought everything to convert my rear gate to manual right from my friendly GM dealer, same prices as LMC and usually ships stuff so you get it the next day.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>
    www.bens87toy.alloffroad. com

6. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

Im not sure if Gms windows are like fords. Ive done this to a friends window. He had a cougar and his window was stuck closed but the crank was able to move. Same event, it was cold and the window didn't move at all but the crank would.

What i found was, the glass is held by two U shaped plastics. On his car, one of them broke, so i just applied epoxy to the plastic and the glass, and it worked. You can buy the holders at the dealer, or get them at the junkyard, which i would do.

74 VW Beetle
    84 Pontiac Fiero
    87 Ford Thunderbird Turbo
    83 Honda Nighthawk 550