Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

manually loading suspension?

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by sled_dog, Jun 5, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

what would be the advantages of this? I understand mounting an ATV winch and preloading your suspension with it, but how does this help you? I just got finished reading over some UROC coverage over on Pirate and saw a few rigs running this, someone explain please?

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Several possible benefits. Main is to prevent the suspension from *unloading* when going up due to weight transfer to the rear. This raises the CoG which causes more weight transfer, and so on. Pulling it down lowers the CoG to start with and reduces the effect of weight transfer.

It also provides side benefits like better visibility and more preload helps control instability and bouncing to some extent.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Pulling the front down will also move your center of gravity forward . Which it what helps the steep climbs.

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Don't forget about the most important part... it helps you fight those tickets you get for being over the legal height limit /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Sandman

I wish. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm way past that point. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

heh, not the only one

7. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Same here... we're only allowed 3" of lift and 33" tires on K5's in Mass. I've got 6" of lift and 40" tires, go figure /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. Sandman

My bumpers are actually barely legal here. I'm only running 5" of lift. ITs the tires sticking way way out that does me in. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

im really thinking of running air cylinders at each of the front corners.

i could either suck up the axle with about 1200 lbs of force, or force either side down with 700 lbs... or push down with both...

just trying to figure out the solenoid valving /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    im really thinking of running air cylinders at each of the front corners.

i could either suck up the axle with about 1200 lbs of force, or force either side down with 700 lbs... or push down with both...

just trying to figure out the solenoid valving /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you first need to figure out how to keep your tail lights attached to the truck and how to keep your toolbox from falling out. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i've duct taped that tail light in after every run.... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Most people that use the winch to suck the front end down do it because a coil sprung suspension pushes the body away until something stops it. I use my winch to suck the front end down on climbs all of the time and it makes a huge difference in the way the buggy feels on climbs.

This weekend we were running carnage canyon in Buena Vista and I had the winch hooked up to the axle for the last climb. When I released the winch for someone to attach it to the winch anchor because I couldn't make it the front end pushed away so much that I was a little nervous about going over backwards.
    It really helps to keep the front tires loaded with some weight. As the body pushes away the front tires go to basically having no presure on them. Therfore no traction.

I have watched Stephen do the same climb in his Blazer with leaf springs, Coilovers with no front limiting strap, and then with a center limiting strap that holds the front axle at ride height.
    The leaf springs did not appear to have any bad push away
    The coils with no front limiting strap made the front go to full droop then lift the front tires. It looked a little scary.
    Then by adding the front limit strap the blazer climbed better than it had with the leaf springs. This was because the weight of the front axle helps to keep the body down which in turn makes the body put more weight on the front tires. Which equals better traction.

13. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

They also use them as a flex limiter. Sometimes less flex can keep the front end out of big holes. But I believe the main advantage is climbing.