Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

manuals and autos

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jun 28, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey, I will be getting an th400 for the blazer in august, and put it in sometime before school. So I have a question, it already has an auto in there, but what difference in unbolting and bolting up is there from a manual? I unbolted and bolted up a sm465/208 5 seperate times 2 winters ago so I know how to do that, so is there any different proceedure? What about the colum shifter link and whatnot. Sorry I am not wise about autos so go easy on me!

2. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Are you wanting to know what to do to unhook it from the engine?

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

The auto IMO is easier than the stick. For removal (reverse for installation) unbolt the torque converter, disconnect tranny fluid lines, pull small pin and unhook shift linkage, disconnect the kickdown cable, unbolt from motor and tranny crossmember and viola. It's out. The hardest part of installation and the easiest way to screw up a tranny is resetting the kickdown cable as it needs to be adjusted correctly.

EDIT: I forgot there is a vacuum hose running to the modulator that will need disconnected.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There is no kickdown cable on a TH 400. It is an electrical connection on the driver's side that provides the kickdown.

I wouldn't say one or the other is easier. I've got a TH 400 in my tow rig and a 465/205 in the trail rig. I dreadl pulling transmissions because of the weight, not because one is auto or manual.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

come on Tim hooking up an auto is so much easier. All you do is guide it up in there and bolt it to the motor, then rotate till you can bolt up the torque converter and voila. With the stick you have to guide that damn input shaft through the splines of the clutch then into the pilot bearing on the motor. If you have a trick that makes this easy PLEASE share cause it takes me a couple hours everytime I install a trans.

84gmcjimmy - you haven't mentioned clutch stuff. You need a clutch pedal assembly. Preferably hydraulic. Without that a 4 speed is a waste of time seeing as its unusable.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Sled_dog, I don't understand your last sentence, the th-400 is a 3 speed auto, so it doesn't need a clutch.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was talking about swapping to a manual. Its not as simple as bolting it in /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I know I know, I was just going through it quickly, trust me its alot harder than I said. Like I said I had to do it around 5 times in winter weather in about a week. We had to do it so many times because the shaft the clutch assembly goes onto had a torque in it. So we had to take it to a tranny shop to get fixed.

9. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

A clutch takes a bit more dedication to install.
    But not much more than a slush box.
    Remove about 200 Mack trannys, we call em Maytags because they are about the size of a friggin refrigerator.
    465's are small. LOL

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm well aware 465s are small but I prefer to remove the motor rather than the trans, its easier. The motor in my burb needs a new flywheel, I was gonna drop the trans but forget that be easier to pull the motor, think I will replace the motor with a roller one anyway.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    With the stick you have to guide that damn input shaft through the splines of the clutch then into the pilot bearing on the motor. If you have a trick that makes this easy PLEASE share cause it takes me a couple hours everytime I install a trans.

[/ QUOTE ]

I put it in gear and spin the output shaft. Hasn't failed me yet, last time I installed my trans/case in about 3 hours from start to finish.