Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manuals / "How to" / Repair books ?? Where to get?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by socal chevy, Nov 23, 2004.

1. socal chevy

socal chevy 1/2 ton status

Manuals / \"How to\" / Repair books ?? Where to get?

I want to learn as much as I can about my truck including the engine, interior, exterior EVERYTHING. Where can I buy some good manuals/ Repair booklets / ETC that will help me understand my truck better, andgive me enough information to fix my truck myself, and not send it too a mechanic?... Any info would be very much appreciated, and will make me stop posting so many questions /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif THANKS. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Re: Manuals / \"How to\" / Repair books ?? Where to get?

Well, they won't tell you HOW to do stuff, but the WHAT to do is best had from the official Chevy repair manuals, printed by Helm Inc. You can buy them -- expen$ive -- new from Helm @ them directly but you can prolly find them on Ebay cheaper. PM me if you need help figuring out what goes with your particular year truck.

The Chilton's and Hayne's manuals cover the HOW more than the WHAT, and are cheap ($15-20) and are sort of specific to your year/model and are available locally.

Both companies also make generic auto repair manuals that discuss the HOW more.

Me, I wait till something breaks or falls off, then figure it out myself ... but it's been a few years and I'm still learning /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-- A

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You raise a very good question. I wish GM would include a parts catolog and owners manual(500 pages thick) like my John Deere combines come with. I have a parts catalog for my Combines and can look at exploded views of every single nut and bolt on the machine( about 700 pages of exploded views) and each part is numbered and listed on the opposite page listing what it is, how many of the part is onboard, and the offical JD part number. Then I get out the owners manual and it shows me with detailed instructions and pictures how to fix or change %75 of the combine parts.
    It shure would be nice if that came with vehicles.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I've bought close to 10 books off of www.amazon.com for great prices

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

GM does have such manuals,they are the parts counter books,they have all the exploded diagrams,bolt sizes,part numbers,etc--I bought one that covered 1946-1972 10-30 series trucks,it also covers some C60 series and the 2 stroke diesels.They are expensive,but I bought mine at a swap meet for 35 bucks from a bookworm that collects factory manuals and brochures.You might try a local dealer--they might have an old one gathering dust--they dont care about our old trucks too much now-if they have no listing in the computer for parts,the book wont help,usually after 10 years the parts are discontinued to some degree.I found the pictures alone very helpful for putting things together right,and what order the parts go in,and you can tell if there are any missing parts.
    Also dont overlook your local library--a small town near me has quite a selection of chiltons and motors manuals--even the wiring diagrams and vacuum hose routing manuals.I've spent more than 1 day there photocopying the wiring diagrams!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. socal chevy

socal chevy 1/2 ton status

What is a "S" Series chevy Truck manual?

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'm guessing; s10 trucks and blazers, and s15. The smaller version of k10's and full size blazers...