Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

manuel valve body question (TH400)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Aug 30, 2001.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I need the skinney on how a manuel valve body works, is it true that if you have a manuel valve body that if you stop accelerating that the tranny goes into neutral? Someone enlighten me please. just gathering facts for my TH400 build up.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I had a full manual TH350 in my 77 and loved it - basically it just became a manual with no clutch. I've never seen one go into neutral when you came off of the throttle, or heard of one. Basically, the manual valve body just takes away the transmission's control, and lets you run any gear at any RPM.

If the shoe fits, get another one just like it
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

That's what I thought, but the guy from Art Carr was confusing the hell out of me.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I had a friend that built trannys and had a 350 engine in an old 240Z Datsun with a TH400. He took something out of it or something to where it would go into neutral when you stopped acceling. It was fun, because you could be crusing along about 70 and lift off the throttle, idle it down, then stomp it and the engine free revved up to where it caught up, by this time it would be way into the power band and just light up the tires!! At 70 MPH!!! Kinda worthless for a 4x4 though, but fun for a drag/street car! I can't remember what he did to it though...

ken

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you had that in a 4x4 and you were rock crawling, it could be dangerous.

But as far as I know I've never heard of a manual valve body that did anything but give you complete control of what gear you're in.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Tin your are right, a manual valve body lets you hold the shifts to where you want it. You have to up shift and downshift every time. The tranny will no longer do that for you. The tranny will NOT shift into nuetral when you let off the gas. You also have to be careful when downshifting. You have to slow down to about 15 mph to shift back into 1st, or it will destroy your u-joints and will be hard on the drivetrain. No big deal 4x4ing because you are gowing slow, but a PITA when you driving. Most of the times you just have to live lagging in 2nd. A buddy of mine has it in his mustang, and he went through two u joints until he realized to do this.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>