Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manufacturing Guys pipe in on Delphi, GM and UAW

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gzzgfw, Oct 11, 2005.

1. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

Anybody work for Delphi or GM. We are all wondering what's next for UAW. Would GM really go from paying $28 to $10, the acceptable global market value? Who then is going to buy a $50,000 pickup truck? :confused:

Manufacturing is all I know for the past 15 years, I might start looking to selling insurance or something like that. :haha:

What do you guys that work in the manufacturing environment think. Is it about time UAW gets grounded in the American economy.
    No more life time jobs, 100% pay for being in a job bank, no premium/copay/deductable for insurance, guarantee overtime. Will they reflute back to the time of the Flint strike that started it all? :doah:

I work for Allison Transmission which is GM powertrain, so what goes around comes around.

Anybody else in the same boat?

2. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

You could maybe start looking for a non-profit manufacturing plant that employs disabled people, and maybe see if you can get on a manager or something.

I worked (currently on extended absent leave due to my Hodgkins) at a non-profit sewing/small-parts assembly plant that serves as a sheltered workshop for some of the mentally and physically disabled in my community called Industrial Opportunities, Inc. Started in 1974 with eight disabled employees, now employs around 220+, 60% with disabilities. Place currently churns out the Army's duffel bags and numerous other sewn stuff for the military, and also does contract assembly work for a local spring-brake plant, MGM Brakes, plus some contract packing as well and some other contract assembly work for various other companies.

I really think we need more places like this starting up in this country as a way to keep manufacturing here.

3. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I work in a stamping facility that produces parts for Delphi...
    Our guys make on the average of 1/3 of a Delphi employee's wages/benifits.

What's wrong with $10 an hour...they'll have to learn how not to live high on the hog. We do what we are asked to do...without complaint. I do managing,
    electrical, welding, mechanical, floor sweeping...you name it. I don't sit on my butt waiting for a union to make a ruling.

I think unions were needed during the early 1900's...when manufacturing was taking advantage of the American worker..now the American worker is taking advantage of manufacting.

I've been in training sesions where a Ford, GM or Chrysler employee is sleeping or not paying attention...it's been a BIG joke for us non union guys for years. Now those guys have to deal with the reality that we've been dealing with for years. For many it's gonna be a rude awakening.

Now that Delphi has declared bankruptcy...I'm sure GM will be next...
    then Ford. I'm sure the whole automotive industry will make radical changes like the steel industry did.

Knowing you...with your knowledge...you'll make-it!!! ;)

4. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

Bingo, When Mr. Ford had his way, manufacturing was a hit. It allowed people to buy cars, homes and a night out with the guys.

Mr Ford said never would his shop be union. Well it eventually was unionized after the Flint holdup in 37'.

But now? Companies know how to manage their employees, with OSHA, and diversity programs, hell maybe its time for unions let go. :confused:

5. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

For about 7 years I worked in an aluminum casting foundry, making stuff for the big 3, as well as aerospace / defense..... we made stuff like dodge V10 heads, oil pans for F15's, Intakes for vipers, GM 2.8 water pumps, heck, during desert storm, we had fuel pumps for the M1 Abrams flying out the door.

Like anyplace else tied to the automotive industry, we had our ups and downs.. I usually survived layoffs in spite of the union bump rules, because I learned a bunch of jobs there. I made my bosses look good, and I worked my ass off.

The money was pretty good. I made about 11 bucks an hour when I worked in the permanent molding department,( at 60 hrs a week, minimum ) and when I got moved to a piecework job trimming castings, I was clearing 700 a week take home.

The union was part of the steelworkers, and they just rubber stamped whatever the company wanted to do. Didn't bother me, because the company signed my checks, and I worried about making them happy, not the union.

I could have stayed there, but I has the chance to leave in 1995, for the wonderful world of self employment.

I hated the fact that no matter how hard I worked, someone else was always in control of my destiny. The plant could change my shift, cut my pay, or just shut down. never mind the injuries and death caused by improper maintainence and training.

the union leaders in the shop always had something to say when I did too much work and blew the piecework rates out, or they'd tell me who to vote for come election time.

all a union really amounts to is you get to pay to keep your job. And they run the risk of negotiating you right out of a job. High wage union jobs are great until the money faucet stops, then you find out how much your " brother" is interested in helping you survive, when he bumps you into the unemployment line.

Anyway, I had enough and just vowed I'd never work in manufacturing again. Sadly, it's time is past, and good luck finding a 10 dollar an hour job anywhere.

Change direction and do something else.. better to get out of industry now, rather than wait until you get older and realize you can't retire.

Tom

6. Inu-Hanyou1776

When I was working at IOI (Industrial Opportunities, Inc.), and when I get to go back after I beat this Hodgkins, I was making $6.50/hr base plus any production I made that took me above that. I'm totally satisfied with that. I don't really want to live high on the hog. Just make enough extra to be able to support my drumming and writing hobbies.

7. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

All I can say is my dad is basically screwed after working at Guide (GM lamp plant) for just over 40 years. Now his retirement isn't worth jack, except for pension. All his GM stock is basically piss in the pool. :crazy:

8. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

the unions were great when they first started.keeping people from working too hard for little pay.now they have crossed the line to drug addicts making $25.00 an hour.and there isn't anything the company can do about it!i has been coming fo a long time.the union has priced us out of the NEW global market.did they not think it would happen?we live in a whole new world, boys and girls. :(

9. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

We are non unionized where I work, but there are several other shops in the country that are (same company) and they are worse off then us. We make a little less in wages, but make up for it with awesome benifits. Unions make people slackers because of the freedom they gain... In a shop like ours, slackers get tossed. Its not a strike that gets us more money, its hard work and dedication, the way it should be.

10. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mark

Did you hear...465 Delphi executives just took 89 million in bonus money just before Bankruptcy????

Something is really wrong with this picture...crooks!!!! :mad:

11. Inu-Hanyou1776

For that alone, even though it may have been legal they should have been prosecuted anyway! Or at least somebody brought a civil suit against for that same amount!!