Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Marine Corps Guys

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TSGB, Mar 24, 2006.

1. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I went and talked to a recruiter for the second time today. I'm coming the the end of my first year of a two year college program for power plant operations, and am kind of looking at my options. If financial aid doesn't come through for next year, I don't know if I'll work and save up money, or go into a branch of the military (Marines or Air Force). I took one of the little preliminary tests on the 'puter that covers math, language, and common sense, and scored an 86, which the sergeant seemed pretty excited aboot. I looked at MOS's today, and am interested in tank and light assault vehicle ordinance work. I might also look at the same line but with helos.

Know anything aboot these MOS's?

Did anything bite you in the ass when you signed, or is there anything you would have done differently?

Any regrets?

Any questions I should ask him aboot?

Advice?

I think I'm still just looking at my options, but that recruiter is one persuasive little ****.

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

the marine recruiters like smart people, not many want to join the jarheads
    air farce is the way to go for short term
    they are all about about school while you are in, go out of their way to keep you in collage.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Ordies suck on all levels. if you serve in ANY service look into something you would enjoy AND be able to apply when/if you were to get out.

ordinance folk have a VERY small nitch in the CIV world. they have uses, but few and far between. also as for air wing ORD you can end up going away for a couple days or more at a time to a remote area for a FARP. basically arming, de arming and fuel. nothing more. 4 or 5 people normally.

you like wrenching obviously, or driving. why not look into a motor transport job. i don't know much about them other than they have cool toys.... and i envy that. IF they would let me move over to the motor pool as a mech or driver i would in a heartbeat. and retire. but they wont let me, so i cant.

one other thing to think of... you already have some schooling... why not join an officers program and have them finish up paying for your school? you then can be a boss and still have some hands on stuff depending on where you get stationed.

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I concur:D

5. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I don't wrench much- simply lack of opportunities this far in my life (19), but I don't want to make a job out of it. I thought ordinance sounded pretty fun, but like you said, civvy opportunities are lacking. I was thinking aboot maintenance on the tanks, which run gas turbine engines, which are the basis for a decent number of power stations. Same with helos.

Officer's program is on a list of things to ask aboot.

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

some of the tanks use a GET700. same thing as in the AH-1W super cobra and the new AH-1 and UH-1. along with CH-60's. good engine.

that is a job, that if you were interested in you could go FAR and fast as soon as you decided your time in the service was up. depending on the level you get for an MOS you could be a flight line mech(also called powerline by some) this would end up involving removing and replacing up to 35% on certian aircraft. mostly dealing with dynamic components (things that rotate under power) some times flight controlls, and power sections. then they get sent to the next level to be worked on.

the next level is responsible for tear down and rebuild.

its the same on the motor transport side as well.

another thing you should know... ill slap the piss outta any Marine who does not agree with this as well...

there are 2 Marine Corps. the ground side and the air wing. we work under the same rules... but the rules are bent big time for wingers. is that right? no, but thats how it is. ground side works more intense for a lot less time MOST of the time. airwingers work on average (unless you are an ORDie) 12 hour days. a squadron is NORMALLY working 6 out of 7 days. night crew sunday through thursday and days monday through friday. nightcrew can EASILY pull a 16 hour day in the rotor wing side. another cool job you could look into would be a crew shief on a C-130, CH-53 or UH-1n (for the Corps, others have the same for other platforms.) when your time is up, may it be 4 years or 30 with a crew chief you have UNLIMITED job rescources.

7. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Lessons learned from the Corps?
    1. Unless its because you really want to be a Marine, join another branch
    2. IYAOYAS (if you aint ordnance you aint shiite) is the most stupid term ever
    3. Air wingers work their arses off, but when its play time GAME ON!!!
    4. Crew chiefs dont have unlimited oppurtunities, most of them now a days are retards and the only wrench they know how to turn is a screwdriver.
    5. If you do join the Corps, stay away from the V22!!! Try c-130s or skids
    6. There are two sides to the Corps, air wing and ground. There are two sides to the wing, fixed and rotary wing. Rotary wing generally bends the rules alittle more than fixed.:wink1:
    7. If I knew what I know now, I would have joined the Air Force, pararescuemen, or combat controllers. Hard to get started but they are the shiite. The Coast Guard would have been my second choice, flight mech or rescue swimmer, Coast Guardsmen that I have worked with in the past are more professional than most Marines.
    8. Ultimately the choice is yours, join the corps if you want but be prepared to deal with a lot of bs, time off, hard work, arse holes, deployments, crappy living while deployed, go to school and get labeled by everyone that has to stay and work to cover your time off.

8. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Agree somewhat with Gotlabs. Became a Marine 18 years ago, and would never be anything else after seeing what I have seen or doing what I've done. Reread number 8 of his post, and that's the way it is. I'm on the ground side of the Marine Corps, and we have it about the same. That's just part of the good sh*t, makes it fun.

I'm a former recruiter, and can tell you if you get hung up on a specific job, the Marine recruiter may eventually send you to another office, where you may get "promised" a job, only to find out that it's not what you expected. Marine recruiters can usually only offer a field of jobs, most related, some not. Join the Marines to be a Marine. Join another branch to do something in the military (that's not a bad thing either).

9. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Like they said Join the Marines if you want to be a Marine, not to Knock the wing but I spent 1 year out of 7 there and hated it, I was glad to get back to the grunts. LAV's or whatever they call em now rock, I dont know about the ordinance side I was in a C3 (Command version) Pick a field thats fun so you enjoy it, I dont think ANGLICO is around any more and I know the job I did has changed since I was in but If you want to see the world FMF is the way to go. If you scored good go for something like Radio Tech or Comm Center (they get to read all the cool stuff) avoid 03 unless you like the dirt, and if you like the dirt go 08 (arty) atleast they ride in trucks being a Tactical Air Controller/Forward observer and Firedirection controller was fun and if your up to Boot Camp go for it, you wont regret it in the end. Check out the Military channel for the 4 part show on becoming a Marine and see if you think your up to that challenge then Go for it.

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The biggest thing to think about is do YOU want to be a Marine. If you don't, go to another branch of service. I would never try to talk someone into being a Marine. You are going to have to want it.

Since you are already in school you may want to look at an ROTC program. If your school does not have one I'm sure you could find one that does without too much trouble.

I spent 6 years working avionics on KC130s. Its funny because when I first went to see the recruiter I was only vaguely aware that the U.S.M.C. had airplanes. I knew nothing about the air wing/ground side differences either. You'll see guys get all worked up about it, but the truth is, most of us went where we got orders to without knowing much about the other.

Those are some of the best and worst times I ever had. Night crew almost always got the shaft on the work hours. Try and get something out of you the recruiter, money, rank, whatever.

Aviation is not a bad way to earn a living in the civilian world, either. But I will warn you, civilian aviation is not a stable career choice.

I went to Paris Island 15 years ago this month and I'm sure a lot has changed, but I'll bet the pride felt by today's Marines is just as genuine as it has always been.

11. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I graduated from MCRD SanDiego over 30(DAMN thats a big #) years ago. Sounds like the wing hasn't changed much. Was in 1st MAW in Iwakuni, Japan. I started as a refueler.Lousy hours, less than 200 bucks a month pay. Back then you had to REALLY want to be a Marine, cause Vietnam was just over, and very few civilians gave us any respect.
    If you are just looking for something to do, join the AF. Not putting down the AF, but they seem to me to be the easiest of the armed forces. Shoot, if nothing else, join the reserves. If you decide you want to go active duty, instead of 1 weekend a month, its pretty easy to do.

12. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

If you look at most branches (other than the AF), you are that branch's function first.

Marines are a Marine.
    Army is a Soldier.
    Navy is a Sailor.
    Coast Guard is a Sailor.

Air Force is.... well, depends on your job. I have one of the "real" jobs in the AF. I'm an avionics technician on KC-135R, 135T, and 135R/T tankers. I've worked all shifts, 10's, 8+4, 12, and 16's on daily, 5+2, 4+1, 6+1, and 2+1 schedules (depending on the shift hours).

If you're looking for an "easy" job. The Air Force is the way to go. Just get into Finance, Admin, Personnel, or something. You'll sit in an office building all day, with no real stress at all, plenty of spare time to take college classes.

I on the other hand work a different shift every couple weeks, have no chance in hell of getting any classwork done, and work outside regardless of the weather. I even get to come to work when the rest of the base doesn't ("Mission Essential Personnell"... I love it).

13. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Like everyone else says, if you want the title "Marine", join the Corps. If you want a career after the service, join another branch.

With that being said, there are two types of people in the military. Marines, and those that wish they were:D

Semper Fi,
    John

14. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

Go Airforce for some good schooling and a easier time OR go Army :D . I was a 63w heavy mechanic . I sometimes wished I'd have stayed in and went to warrent officer school . It just look's like you want to learn something and get some school funding so pick something that you can use on the outside or that will help you in the job you will want in the future .

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

pretty simple for me... if I wanted to be a tank guy, I'd go Army... if I wanted to fly choppers, I'd go army... if I wanted to be a grunt I'd go USMC (like I did!). Where you should go depends a lot on what you want to do. Personally, if I was gonna do it all over again and I didn't want to be an 0311, I'd figure out which branch was doing the most with UAVs and see if I couldn't become some kind of tech to work on them. Unmanned is the future of warfare.

j

16. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

17. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

In the Corps, the fixed-wing aviation jobs are generally in the 60xx MOS series, and the rotary-wing jobs are generally in the 61xx MOS series. For instance, I was a 6113, which is a CH-53D/E flightline mechanic. Like Grant said, flightline deals with all the dynamic components, flight controls, and fuel systems of the aircraft. And, like the others have said, in my experience rotary-wing squadrons are generally more "relaxed" and "fun" than fixed-wing squadrons.

18. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Check with some Civi companies if your looking at planes or wheely birds of what is compatible, my naybors son got out a year ago and have had a hard time transfering into the civilion sector due to the only plane they worked on was a military plane.... Lots of mechanics out there..... Also a friend of mine in the mid 80's retired and ended up re-uping because he couldn't find a job out of the military, since he went in as a fire-tech.....

19. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

I know this is no help today but...A friend and I were talking about
    his new work contract today. Turns out his 2 main contacts are former marines and so is he. Being in the corp was a big factor at decision time for the contract. How big? His bid was the highest:whistle:

George

20. skidpan

skidpan 1/2 ton status

Like everyone else said... if you want the greatest brotherhood in the world, join the corps. I am about to end my 1st enlistment. After 4 years I have meet some cool ass people done some great things, and enjoied it for the most part. AS of TODAY we had a brief about budget cuts.. They are about to majorly cut budgets for EVERYTHING. This war is costing us 6 mil a month. So they have to get the money frome some where. The proposed cuts are starting with Child Care, bacholer housing, and other family and single marine services. They are still putting money into things that are clearly a waste, thoes of you in the Corps know ( NMCI to start) We are currently paying 385 dollars a month to lease each black dell that the majority of the corps use. These are computers that we bought in the FY 02 i believe. Now we pay NMCI for them after we got them strait from dell. We are also still training the 0651 MOS ( aka network Admin) so there are 30 marines each week graduating a school that just tought them something that they will never use. So after this vent ....
    Like they said if you want to join the Corps to be a Marine the do it. It has its advantages and it has its drawbacks