Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Marine Grease is the Shiznit!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rob 85K5, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

After taking the turck on a run in early January. Through water & sandy mud 90% of the time. [​IMG]

I hadn't touched my hubs & bearings until last week. Partialy being lazy and knowing I was going 8 lug.
    Pulled the hubs to do the swap and the bearings and spindle looked great.
    This doesn't mean you can neglect these items and they'll be fine, everything was packed fresh before this run.

Just a heads up on those of you that keep wondering about marine grease

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Cool Beans /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif If marine grease holds up to Flo-re-da mud (water) runnin, it's good enough for me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

thanks and thats a great pic /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea..i try not to get in anything to deep as i dont want water geting in my tranny or something..

5. Rob 85K5

Run your vent lines up to the firewall. If your stuff isn't leaking, then the water will stay out 99% of the time.

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I agree!!
    I have been runnin the Blue stuff fer 10yrs and it always keeps my bearings nice and ooowwwieee goowwieee with grease /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The real test is this... Was there any water in the hubs? If not, then the marine grease didn't make any difference, but the seals did their job well. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif When water does get into the hubs, it will turn regular grease into a slimy, gooey, doesn't-lubricate-well, smelly mess. But marine grease (and most synthetic greases) won't mix with water, so it doesn't break down like regular wheel bearing grease does. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Instead of finding slime, you'll just see water drops inside.

8. Rob 85K5

There were some rusty spots on the hub interior, so water did get in. I always run some grease on the inner seal and on the o-ring on the warn cap. I think being under water for 20 minutes plus, the water is going to get in through the back of the knuckle and spindle.

9. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

What sucks is when your truck gets stuck really bad or breaks down in a hole /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif