Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

marine or good 6x9's..

Discussion in 'Audio' started by ryoken, Jul 7, 2004.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

marine or good 6x9\'s..

i'm looking for recommendations on 6x9's..

heres what i have going on and intentions.. i want to start upgrading the system in the truck, starting with speakers. the truck came with a Sony XR-CA333 and matching 6 disk and pretty crappy speakers. i would like to not run a subbox in back if i can. although if i could fit it in one of the rear speaker spots i would consider it. i will be making custom panels for the rear to replace the cardboard jobbies out of an extruding composite material (basically fiberglass). its exceptionally dense and waterproof. really an incredible product. paintable too...

anyway, so i can run whatever i want with the new panels. i was figuring on 6x9's all the way in the back, another set behind the seats, and then something up in the doors. can i get a decent sounding system with 4 6x9's and a maybe a pair of something for highs up front?

then i also figured i might want to consider something marine for the back 4, make it more weather friendly. are there any high quality marine speakers i should be looking at? (i should know this with the boats and all /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif) any marine or regular brands i should look at in particular for 6x9's? Bose? JBL? Infinity? Pioneer?

last thing i'll probably do is an amp if it needs. i love my music loud, but i think the head unit and good speakers would satisfy me for awhile.

any help to the noob would be greatly appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

3. 83k5inthefort

83k5inthefort Registered Member

Re: marine or good 6x9\'s..

Marine speakers would be great in the back, I've considered them myself. They are much more expensive for the sound quality delivered, however. Check out the crutchfield link below to check out some nice (yet pricey) Infinity marine 6X9s.

For a standard application 6X9, it all depends on what you want to spend. In the mid-price range, Alpine makes a nice 6X9 with rubber surrounds (much better than foam/plastic) that handles high power and delivers great sound. In general, look for 6X9s that have a cone material other than paper or coated paper (these Alpines are aluminum coated poly) and rubber surrounds. Also, go with at least a 3-way, that keeps your highs from muddling your bass and vise-versa. You get clear sound in all ranges.

As a last resort, you can pick up some decent Pioneer 6X9s at your local Wal-Mart for around 70 bucks a pair.

As for your head unit, Alpine makes really nice ones that put out a lot of power. Don't be fooled by their low wattage ratings- they have already complied with the new 2006 rating standard. I believe these CD players to be one of the best values- check out the link below to see the one I just picked up two days ago at CarToys. I'm very happy with it. Whatever brand you go with, look for at least 50wX4 (18X4 for the new 2006 standard), at least 2 pre-amp outputs, and sub control is nice for controlling the amp's output from the head unit.

Hope this helps!
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-EybWg3xbdR7/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=79200&I=108692M&o=p&a=0&cc=01&avf=N&search=marine
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-EybWg3xbdR7/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=52300&I=500SPS690A&o=p&a=0&cc=01&avf=N&search=
    http://www.cartoys.com/cartoys/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Product_ID=20361

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

5. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

i run bazooka brand marine speakers.
    2 8' marine woofers
    2 8" coaial marine speakers (like 6x9's only round 8")
    click here

6. ryoken

thanks, thats some good info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

those infinity marines where the ones i was looking at. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. ryoken

hehe, i was waiting for a reply from you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

enlighten me, please /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif i would definitely consider something like that. i'll be starting with a fresh panel and can put anything in... if i ran 2 setups of these in back, what would be good up in the doors? http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=12201

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    hehe, i was waiting for a reply from you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

enlighten me, please /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif i would definitely consider something like that. i'll be starting with a fresh panel and can put anything in... if i ran 2 setups of these in back, what would be good up in the doors? http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=12201

[/ QUOTE ] I don't know how hard it would be to get everything in the doors angled just right. I prefer the Q-forms kick panel enclosures.

9. backcountry

Infinity Kappas require alot of power to make then sound good. If you are not going to use an amp with them, there are better choices. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. backcountry

[ QUOTE ]
    6x9's are fairly easy to install, but I prefer Component System. Like http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2000/108/h108PERF61.jpeg Much better sound quality in my honest opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seperates are nice however they require more electronics to run them. Could be a problem in wet conditions. I would think the crossovers would be sealed but not sure. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif