Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Marine recommended for the Medal of Honor (posthumously)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jarheadk5, Aug 7, 2004.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

The story is from May of this year, from the Wall Street Journal. The incident occurred on April 14, 2004. As you'll recall, April was a bad month in Iraq, but all we heard about were the casualties and "body counts". This is the first I've heard anything about the actual combat during this timeframe, and I'd be willing to bet that it's the first you've heard of it too, thanks to the media's obsession with doom-and-gloom reporting...

Anyway, here's the link:
    www.usmc.mil

A selected quote:
    [ QUOTE ]
    "I deeply believe that given the facts and evidence presented he clearly understood the situation and attempted to block the blast of the grenade from his squad members," Lt. Col. Lopez wrote in a May 13 letter recommending Cpl. Dunham for the Medal of Honor, the nation's highest award for military valor. "His personal action was far beyond the call of duty and saved the lives of his fellow Marines."
    Recommendations for the Medal of Honor are rare. The Marines say they have no other candidates awaiting approval. Unlike other awards, the Medal of Honor must be approved by the President. The most recent act of heroism to earn the Medal came 11 years ago, when two Army Delta Force soldiers gave their lives protecting a downed Blackhawk helicopter pilot in Somalia.

[/ QUOTE ]

2. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

sounds like the guy deserves it, hopefully there were enough witnesses and they take care of him.

j

4. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

wow thats an awsome story. I think he should get the award. he did more then he had to to save the lives of his friends.

nick

5. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Insert Marine Hymn now