Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

marine speakers

Discussion in 'Audio' started by bryguy00b, Aug 8, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well after a wheelin trip a few weeks ago..i soon learned that i was actually going to get water in the cab! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif so now i have two speakers, one on each door on the bottoms of them getting wet..they survived that water i got in them..dont know how but they did lol...but now i want some water proof marine speakers to replace them that i dont have to worry about. whats a good speaker to use for this?

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    well after a wheelin trip a few weeks ago..i soon learned that i was actually going to get water in the cab! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif so now i have two speakers, one on each door on the bottoms of them getting wet..they survived that water i got in them..dont know how but they did lol...but now i want some water proof marine speakers to replace them that i dont have to worry about. whats a good speaker to use for this?

[/ QUOTE ]

A marine speaker! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, how much WATER are we talking about here? If you're talking about submerging the speaker completely you're probably on the right path in pursuing marine speakers (even those might not be happy underwater)

A lot of conventional car speakers are polypropylene cones anyway so it may be more of an issue of finding a speaker with the right materials. Keep in mind, car speakers are designed to be in car doors which are NOT waterproof. There can be quite a bit of water getting behind the window scrapers, etc so the speaker needs to be somewhat "water resistant" for even a typical installation.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well it rarly happens i just thought it might be a good idea incase i did this again..(not on purpose lol)..when i got water in the cab it was half way up the tranny tunnel

4. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Maybe you should be looking at sub-marine speakers. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    If water/silt gets on the tweeter it will effect it's performance. The surround (holds the speaker cone to metal case metal case) should already be water resistant if it's made out of rubber or something similar. The cone, more than likely, is water resistant. The spider (holds the voice coil to the metal base at the bottom of the cone) is what I would be concerned about. If water gets past the spider and into the voice coil and magnet then rust may start to form. I'm not sure if the inside of the magnet housing is protected against moisture by the manufacturer (maybe Greg could shed some light on this). If they were my speakers I was worried about it I would probably get some water resistant repellant in a spray can and spray around the spider and possibly surround, but not on the tweeter. Things that come to mind are Scotchgaurd, leather protector or something that doesn't harden when it dries.