Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Marines or Navy?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dirtwarrior17, May 25, 2005.

1. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I'll end up in the military one way or another and want some advice on where i should go...

I'm looking at marines and navy more than anything and want to get some feedback from some people who've served in either...

did your recruiter bs you and tell you a bunch of crap so you'd sign then you didn't get what you signed up for?

Also what kind of money did you end up with when you got out.

I owe my mom 3k and have to move out in 2 months and boot camp will pay her off. Also when i get out i'm going to buy a backhoe and dump truck and contract myself out.

If all goes as planned i leave for boot camp in 2 months.

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds to me like you want to be a heavy equipment operator or 1345 as we say in the MARINES Tell your recruiter you want the 1300 MOS, you may get it or you may end up in a few other jobs. I'm a 1371 Combat Engineer, explosives, bridging, construction and landmine warfare. The recruiters really dont lie, Im not one but have alot of friends that did tours on the street and it not a easy life. My wife did 7 years in the Navy and its not very much fun unless you pull a nuke job or something high tech. Having almost 3 years on ships myself i would not bs you, it kinda sucks.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I was Marine infantry for 4 years...

no, basically because I knew what I wanted before I stepped in their door. I walked in, told 'em I wanted infantry, and just a 4 year enlistment. It was pretty much just a matter of signing 875984547 pieces of paper at that point.

when I left, I had about $8k in the bank. I knew a few grunts who got out with a little more, a LOT who had $500 or less to their name.. and quite a few that had zilch.

if you're smart you can save a ton of cash when you are in. Avoid beer and going out... always eat at the chow hall and you'll be amazed how much $ you have. You don't need a car... there is no 'rent' and food is taken care of to (if you take advantage).

charge on... if you go to the middle east, kill a terrorist for me.

j

4. aealliarmy

aealliarmy Registered Member

navy recruiters will straight up lie to you. if you want to go navy know what you want to do in the navy before going to meps. i got a $7000 sign on bonus for enlisting for 5 year as an aircraft electrician.

5. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

I was curious after hearing on a day to day basis of the all the casualties so I did some research. Specifically, what branch of service was taking the biggest hit. From the below site, it appears that the Army is taking the biggest hit. Go to this site http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2003/iraq/forces/casualties/ and click on "Graphical Breakdown of Casualties", then killed and wounded. :eek:

If it were me, I would go into the Air Force or Navy! :dunno:

6. CammoK5

CammoK5 Registered Member

That might have something to do with the fact that there are a lot more soldiers here than there are Marines, Airmen, and sailors. More soldiers means more oportunities for soldiers to get hurt/killed. Soldiers and Marines are the ones going outside the wire and doing the fighting. With the exception of PJ's and some Airforce MP's not many from the other branches are going out of the wire.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

way to take the easy way. imagine if the entire military force was like you. we'd all be wearing turbans and worshipping allah right now.

8. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

And goodness knows we don't want that!

9. backcountry

Is it easy or is it a case of wisdom? :wink1:

You are 25 remember? I have 20 years on you! :eek:

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

continue thinking like that, while sitting in your secure home, thinking your own thoughts, sipping your starbucks coffee. meanwhile, the troops who have decided to cowboy up and enlist will be defending your right to tell everyone about how stupid they were to have joined the branch they did. BTW, one of those "stupid" troops who decided to go Army, happens to be the brother of a very close friend of mine.

you may think you're smarter than me, but your posts obviously dont back that argument up. having respect for the very people who protect your way of life doesnt change if your 2 or 200. at that point, age is nothing more than a number.

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

That's an absolutely great reason to decide what service to go into............ :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

With myself included, we've got three combat arms types (I'm included in that) checking in on this thread.

If you really want a bunch of walking vaginal cavities protecting your country, feel free to relocate somewhere south of the border since most of those clowns in those third world pisspot countries couldn't fight their way of a wet papersack with their bayonets.

Pretty pathetic reasoning for picking an MOS. Combat arms is highly rewarding. :D

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

oh, and dirtwarrior, whatever you do, dont tell em you wanna kill anybody. you'll be dish b!tch for sure if you do.

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

And by the way, did you ever serve???????????????????? :thinking:

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

of course not, he was busy protesting, smoking pot, and dodging the draft. :whistle: he has since given up draft dodging. :D

15. backcountry

What do you have against Starbucks coffee anyway? :dunno:

Stupid? I have called no one stupid so don’t even start! :deal:

Who said that I was smarter? :shame: Wisdom has nothing to do with being smart; wisdom however generally comes with age. :thinking:

16. backcountry

17. backcountry

Everything besides dodging the draft! :thumb:

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Way to avoid the questions........................

19. backcountry

Dirtwarrior17 asks a question that I responded to and you children want to start another flame session. :screwy: Would you please do me a favor and spend half the time you spend here trying to start trouble and take a few stress management classes? :crazy:

20. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

BTW, how is this truck related? why is it still in the garage? :confused: