Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Marketing People Only - Interview Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DPI, Jan 25, 2005.

1. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

How would someone approach a product manager position when their background may not necessarily be marketing.

My (corporate) background is Finance - all aspects, from financial reporting to accounting. I am the go to person when someone needs numbers crunched and analyzed to know what they really mean.

I have an interview coming up with a un-named company that deals with off-road parts that's pretty much a niche market. I provided my cover letter and resume this morning via internet/email and got a call for an interview about 4 hours later.

My cover letter stated my long standing enthusiasm with 4 wheelin' and off-roading and my background in finance.

This is a big interview. Mainly because this is one of those dream jobs that mix my hobby (4x4s) with a great career.

Any advice from people that actually work in marketing would be greatly appreciated!

dp

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

All I have to say is - you know what they say about adopting something you do for fun as something you do for work. Stops being fun pretty fast. But hell, I'd do it too.:D

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I hear you. But can you imagine, working for a company that sponsors all sorts of off-road events and being the person responsible for representing their product.

Come on marketing people, I need some advice.