Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Marmon-Herrington axle anyone? Got it home! PICS!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Jan 28, 2004.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Hi guys,
    I searched back the 9 month maximum and couldn't find anything, so I'll just ask. Have any of you guys seen or done a front axle swap with a M-H front end? I found one locally and the price is right. The only thing I have found on them is the M-H website and an old article in 4W&OR. It is an 8-lug disc brake unit with 16" wheels out of a local electric company truck. The guy who is selling it bought the truck, drove it for a while, and then scrapped it. He kept the axle outside covered with plastic so I'm sure the rotors are a rusty mess, but maybe turnable. Some info I found on the M-H site says some of the lighter axle run a 34" spring pad width with 4" pads. A little wide, but shouldn't be a big deal to move. Here's a PDF I found on the M-H site: Clicky
    I know it is way overkill, but I am planning on some big meats and a Cummins 5.9L so it might be just right. I know the Dodge Dana 60 struggles some under the heft of the Cummins. Any other thoughts here guys? Thanks.
    Chris

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Re: Marmon-Herrington axle anyone?

U2Slow and MJ are the only people I've seen that know much about these. U2Slow still posts here but only occaisionally so he may/may not see this. As far as I know, MJ doesn't surf here at all anymore but he has been in the Chevy section on Pirate lately so you might post this there also.

Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. steelsoldiers

Thanks, I'll search over there and see what I can find. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Whats an M-H axle? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Clicky won't work for me...

5. steelsoldiers

Dang, clicky no worky huh? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's a PDF file, do you have Adobe? A Marmon-Herrington axle is made by M-H in Ky and they use it in 4x4 conversions on 1-ton and up trucks. The local power company had a bunch of their service trucks converted to 4x4. Some were Super-Duty F450s and some were GMC Top-Kicks. They guy selling the axle bought the truck at a power company sale and is parting it out. He drove the truck before removing the axle so it must be in fair shape. I might go look at it tonight after work, we'll see what happens.

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah , the pdf doesn't work for me either, and yes I have Adobe... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

7. nvrenuf

I was able to open the file this morning so here is the axle;

[​IMG]

It's cool looking but this thing should be HUGE. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I noticed that WMS on it is listed as 90 1/4", a dually D60 is "only" 79". The tie rod placement is dangerously low (for a wheeling application) as well.

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Axle Dry Weight = 960lbs /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

At least the tie rod is mounted on the backside of the axle and not in front, which could prolly be easily raised.

9. steelsoldiers

OK guys, I just got an update from the guy. It's not the MT-10, it's the MC-80 made buy the italian co. Carrera for M-H. It came out of a pre-'99 F450 Super Duty. It has 5.13 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif gears and 10 lug flanges. I think it is smaller than the MT-10 by a good bit but it is still supposed to be stronger than the Dana 70. Holy crap, is it bad to have a front end stronger than your rear end? It might make my 14-bolt look small /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif The 10 lug part is not good either, but I noticed on the M-H site that they sell an 8-lug flnge for the MT-10 so maybe they're available for the MC-80 too??? Yikes, what a frickin' axle. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif What I like best is that it isn't a toploader so it shouldn't have any oilpan probs like the Rockwells /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. nvrenuf

Find you a 10 lug D80 out of a similar truck or older Chevy 3500HD and get some recentered Hummers for them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Cool, that MT10 has DC CVs in the knuckles. Sounds like some cool options, just make sure your spares are well stocked because nobody is going to have anything to help you out with. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Converting to a standard 8 lug would be cool, or the reentered hummers (nobody would be borrowing (or loaning) a spare).

What would be really cool is a set of the 10 luggers with 19-20 OTR tires under a Cummins equipped crew cab tow rig. Add in a Allison 2000 series (2WD) trans and a divorce 205. Oooh baby! ARGH-ARGH-ARGH (voice of Tim Allen).

12. steelsoldiers

You guys are making me drool on my keyboard just thinking about it. A Dana 80 rear, now that's a thought. I found a Detroit locker for it for $539. Some recentered Hummer rims would be real nice too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif These wouldn't look too shabby either: [​IMG]

With the .75 5th gear in the NV4500, 5.13 gears, and 39.5 tires, the Cummins will be turning about 2293rpm. 44"s would make it about 2058rpm /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I think I'd be starting out in 2nd or 3rd on the street. I think I'll have to box and brace my frame to support all this stuff /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

Thanks for the great ideas guys. I'm leaving work tonight to go get a look at it. I think I'll rent a U-haul trailer to haul it home. It's going to be a bitc# to load! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

All I have to say is wow! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif That axle is WAY to big for me! Way to much weight. I like the alcoas, for sure! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. steelsoldiers

Well, I just got back from looking at the M-H front end and WOW what a chunk of iron! The one I looked at is the MC-80 out of a F450 and it is indeed smaller than the MT-10 listed above. The only thing that bums me a little is that the diff is on the driver's side. That's not a huge deal since I'll be installing a new engine, trans, and t-case and I can offset them as needed for clearance. I guess I'll use a Furd NP205 for the driver's side output.

With the bad news out of the way, here's the good news. It's a 5.13 geared manly ass axle. This diff cover is a 1/4"-3/8" thick. The axle shafts have a double-cardan steering joints which are protected by these heavy shields which are cast into the tubes. The tie rod is on the back like the MT-10, but it is on top, not bottom. It has a set of 10-lug 16" wheels and tires on it. It has some very large disc brakes. It has a very well protected drain plug on the lower left side of the diff housing. The spring pads will have to be moved because they are 37" apart, but there is plenty of room to move them inboard of the existing perches. The best news is that the WMS-WMS is about 70" give or take a couple of inches. Oh, and the tie rod is really beefy and has a dip in the middle to clear the oil pan. Overall I am real happy with the axle. I'm going to go pick it up Saturday morning. I'll post pics after I get it home. Wish me luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

thats fawkin' sweet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Haven't worked on them very often but we do from time to time as they are usually under special duty medium duty freightliners....we actually had one and the matching transfer case sitting out back we took out of an ambulance for eagle county....

DW

17. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Sweet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

That looks like a way better option than rockwells, and a lot stronger than a Dana 60. I remember the article in 4W&OR and these are suppose to be very good axles and you can get parts n such as well. How much is it costing you??

18. steelsoldiers

Money hasn't changed hands yet, but it should be less than $500 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Maybe even way less /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I just rented a truck from Enterprise to go pick it up. It's going to fun getting that big SOB in the back. I am taking plenty of 6x6" blocks, chains, and straps to anchor it in the back. Hopefully I'll have it unloaded and on jackstands by noon tomorrow. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

19. nvrenuf

Then we should be able to expect pics to be posted by around 2:00? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. steelsoldiers

I'll see what I can do /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, but I may be in the ER with my back blown out from trying to get it on the jack stands /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif