Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Marmon-Herrington axle update with pics....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Feb 10, 2004.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,
    A little update for y'all tonight. I have been working on getting the hub base off as you can see from my other posts and tonight I finally had success. I also have some other interesting pics and info for you guys.

[​IMG]
    After much beating, oiling cussing, etc... I finally came up with an idea. Since I had already FUBARed one edge of the hub trying to get it off I was up for anything. I drilled a hole in between two other mounting holes, tapped it, and threaded in a bolt. As the bolt went through the hub and hit the wheel hub steel it started to push against it and shove the hub out. A little cranking with a ratchet and she finally popped free. Little bastard...

[​IMG]
    Here you can see the stub axle which is Dana 60 sized at 1.31" with 30 splines. I won't how big the rest of it is until I get it apart some more.
    [​IMG]
    A Carraro tag I found hidden under dirt on the back right corner of the chunk.
    [​IMG]
    King pin grease zerks hidden down inside the steering arms by dirt
    [​IMG]
    A shot of the 4 piston caliper, big sucker, $$$ too.

Next step is to make a socket to remove the axle nut. I have a diagram from M-H that shows how to make one. It's a socket 79mm wide, 75mm deep, with two 7.5mm studs on the end which engage the nut. Maybe I can buy a cheap 4wd nut socket and weld some round studs on it. Here's a drawing of it:
    [​IMG]
    Any of you CAD guys want to make me one for a small fee? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

That's all for tonight. More to come later as the teardown progresses. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. steelsoldiers

I just had an idea about how to make a axle nut tool. How's this sound. I could buy a 6" or so piece of 2" steel pipe threaded on either end, a threaded pipe cap, and a piece of steel bar the size of the holes in the nut. Then I could cut the threads off of one end and weld two pieces of the steel bar to either side of the bottom. Then I could screw the cap on the other end and tack it into place to keep it from unscrewing. Finally, weld a 3/4" nut to the pipe cap to turn the socket with. Does that make sense?

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Damn, that thing is a beast! /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Good to see your getting it ready after you bought it and I am suprised though on how small the stub shafts are if they are equal to a D60, considering the size of the rest of that axle.

4. steelsoldiers

[ QUOTE ]
    I am suprised though on how small the stub shafts are if they are equal to a D60, considering the size of the rest of that axle.

[/ QUOTE ] I was too. I am anxious to see the rest of the axle shaft. I can always get some chromoly shafts made and keep the stockers for spares. I am probably going to welding the spiders because as far as I know there are no lockers available, so that's might be tough on stubs and hubs. I want to check out the spindles and see if there is any room to go up a size or two. If it really gets to be a problem, I'll go to Rockwell outers /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

give sandy cone the ring ring and get some bling bling shafts made from 300m. Doesn't get much better than that.

j

6. steelsoldiers

Aaah yeah, I hear ya jek, word to the 300M yo

Seriously though, that might be the way to go, 300Ms and CTMs in the double-cardan /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. rjfguitar

Whats 300M? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

8. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's a grade of steel when properly heat treated is mucho strongo.

9. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    It's a grade of steel when properly heat treated is mucho strongo.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Whats it cost to have a shaft made?

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you have to ask....

It is too much /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

11. rjfguitar

How much?

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

depends on what you want, but a set of 300m toyota 8" axle inners over on pirate costs $550. 300m is probably the best material to make axle shafts from on the planet, assuming its heat treated correctly and all that jazz. Definitely bad azz. When I win the lottery, I'm gonna go 40-spline 300m shafts + a 40 spline detroit for my D60. lol!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

13. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah don't forget new spindles and hubs and drive flanges to match that...

Anywho, yeah it's about $3000 for a set of 60 shafts from Jack at CTM.

14. steelsoldiers

Wooooo-doggy, that's some serious green Jason. If breakage is an issue, I mean, when breakage becomes an issue, I think I'll give the guys at Superior a call first and get some custom chromo shafts before I step up to the 300M.