Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

marriage proposal help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bobalob, Dec 9, 2005.

1. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

Girlfriend has repeatedly stated she wants to get married and even made me try on a wedding band the other night I have resisted because I wanted to be in a career and financially stable before I asked her. I have been with her for 3-4 years(ever since I quit drugs and drinking) and am definite in spending the rest of my life with her. I will have finally have finally paid off the 25g in debts, fines, and court costs at the end of the year and have decided to enter a full time 1 1/2 year welding class (I have never welded but it pays better than being a baker and I won't have to work nights and I think I will enjoy it) and work part time during.

So career and financial bliss are a ways off and she is sick of waiting so might as well ask her now:D . Now we have discussed marriage, rings, weddings already so she knows and accepts my views on them.:eek1:

Rings- can't stand the idea of spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on ugly, useless, finger ornaments. She wants some type of ring though so I am looking at a rosewood with silver band for her. But for me when I tried on the ring the other night I absolutely hated it and told her I couldn't wear a ring because it would deter hot young women from coming on to me:haha: ( for some reason she puts up with my sense of humor) but I would be willing to tattoo a band on my finger and/ or commemerate the marriage on my body in ink forever. I'm thinking an owners label like you see in books. This caucasian male is the property of Belinda Lee and if found please return to owner at so and so adress. Done in block print with her name in stylized cursive.

What do you think? Any other ideas, refinements, tattoo designs, ect. Cheap and humorous is the way to go in my opinion:haha:

Also I only have about week before she leaves town to spend Christmas with her family so I was going to take her on short wheeling trip up nearby mountain and get on knee at top, give ring, and show tatt.

2. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

"You know you've been on CK5 too long when..."

:haha:

Yeah, that's about all I have to contribute.

3. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

Alot of welders work nites. Have over 100 at work. But they do no more than you can teach a monkey to do in five minutes. My wife has a nice ring set for her. I had a ring till it cut my finger to the bone one day at work then got lost when carring it in my pocket at work. A nice tatoo that looks like a ring will do as long as looks nice. A ring on a chain or get you a cheapo from wally world and her some nicer ones that match. Have fun and best wishes. Oh and a sales lady that comes by work has her makeup tatooed on. Lips, eye liner etc... not bad niether. :rolleyes:

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Congrats.

Don't wait for major events like this in life, good call doing it now.

Crap, pulling into my train station as I was about to write a long boring post with lots of thoughts, and I wonn't be near a pc again til after midnight...

5. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

I just read my post and my God I have become a freaking white trash redneck:haha: :haha: :haha: What happened:confused: . Oh well as long as it keeps me happy I guess.:o

6. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

I mean mountains, marriage, wheeling, tattoos, wooden rings WTF:eek1:

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

My dog ate my $500 wedding ring, so I got a 20 dollar silver one while at monterey looks exactly the same, dont get a tattoo, do get married to a woman who will put up with your sence of humor. Just think of what my wife puts up with on a daily basis...

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i still want your sugar gliders.....
    Grant

9. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Get a band for now for you and a ring that she wants for her. When I first started wearing a wedding band it was the first ring I had ever owned or wore and it took a lot of getting use to but now its like it is not even there. If you want to do the tatoo thing wait for awile, better to get it done, the wedding, then get the permanant stuff later.

10. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Tattoos of women's names are a big mistake. Never say never and getting it removed later is a pain. I don't wear a ring either, but I sure wouldn't tattoo a ring on for the same reasons I wouldn't put a girl's name on my body, no matter how I felt at the time. Just get hitched and show your commitment through your day to day actions.....

11. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

Dont wait until later if you're both REALLY ready now. BUT, do not do it if you're not ready. Financial freedom and stability would be nice, but not having it didnt stop me from proposing. My wife and I were together for 3-1/2 years before we took the plunge. The hints that she was ready to get married were getting more and more obvious. I didnt think I was ready, but I tried to make a list of why NOT to, and I couldnt think of one thing. I wish you luck!
    I bought my wife a nice platinum & diamond engagement ring and wedding band. (You'll NEVER convince me that diamonds are anything but worthless and useless). I told her that I didnt want anything fancy though. So I settled on a $100 plain titanium band. I couldnt be happier with it. It's VERY lightweight, strong, and comfortable.

12. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

If you wait untill you are financially stable and such...it will never happen. Don't put it off for a stupid reason for that. Get a set of simple GOLD wedding bands. You can keep yours and she can pick out a real wedding ring later. Use the gold bands as engagement rings.
    My .02

13. gauder

gauder Banned

I wouldn't go with the wooden ring simply because how would they resize it down the road?

14. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

If I remember the top reason coupels fight these day is over money. I fight with my wife about it becuase "I dont make enough for her to spend" :rolleyes:

Theres nothin wrong with waitin til you got a lil somethin under you. Worrying about money and payin the bills sucks.

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you want marriage proposal help?

RUN!

that's all i got... :haha:

16. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

Thanks Beater but she would just cut my achilles if I turned my back to run, so I might as well buck up and show no fear

17. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I was given a Diamond my grandmother had and and two from my mothers wedding ring to have my wife's ring made. I also got my father's wedding band (he was dead also 6 years at the time). It turns out I had a bad reaction to gold, so I got a plain titanium ring. I bought my replacement from http://www.saltlakesilver.com. They just send a discount code.

There is still time to get great gifts from Salt Lake Silver Ring Co. Just use coupon code Ship35, and we guarantee you'll receive your purchase by 12.23.05. This offer is only valid until 12.15.05 (this Thursday!) So get hopping on that shopping!

Good luck

18. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

the ring is silver with rosewood bands so it could be re-sized but down the road when we are a bit more financially secure I will spring for a bigger waste of money:mad: for her. As it is now the ring won't be here for about a month so I bought her a loom(she thinks I am getting her a new mod for my Blazer that she has to help install:D needless to say she is pissed:eek1: ).
    I find the idea of inking a chicks name to be a classic cheesy mistake that never fails to make me laugh so at one point I was planning on tattooing my undying devotion to some fictitious female just because I find it humorous, so for me it is a win win situation(probably even funnier if I have her name mis-spelled):haha:

19. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

bob, I just did it a few weeks ago... there were some posts on here about it. I also will not wear jewlery, so my ring will be tatooed. I will say that I wont have the tatt done untill after the wedding. Some people see it as a little to permanent, but to me thats the point. what I have been told by many people who have had hand tattoos is the simpler the better. the problem is the skin on the hands is so plyable that it is hard to get an exact line. therfore mine will be a very simple band with some sort of tribal theme. also you will have to have it touched up over time.
    gabe

20. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

Another possiblity is just replacing one of my nipple rings with clipped wedding band but she wants a visible indication of marital status:doah: .