Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Martha Stewart

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84k5, Mar 5, 2004.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

GUILTY /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

It's a good thing.

3. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Good or bad, it's pretty damn funny!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

That was her trademark saying she said at the end of each one of her shows.

I found this a wonderful opportunity to use it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Good for Her! thats what She Deserves! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifThe only problem is that just like all the other Rich people in this Country that Commit a Crime, She will Probably get a slap on the Wrist!!!

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

And for the blockbuster Xmas release from Gutterslut Video, "Martha does Blocks A, B, and C."

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

"Today, we're going to learn how to take a plain sheet I stole from laundry duty and learn how to turn it into a formal evening gown. I'll be modeling mine for my date this evening with Freda, my cellmate. If we have time, I'll also share how to make custom made jewelery from broken light bulbs and bed springs"

9. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I think they should've just left her alone. Dumping stocks based on insider information is only a crime if you work for that company, which she doesn't.

There are websites you can subscribe to that tell you if CEO's are buying or selling the stocks of the companies they run, and they describe WHY they're selling, and the info is in real time, so it's not like she's the only one with access to the information. Besides, if they prosecuted everyone who took advantage of a stock tip, the prisons couldn't hold everyone.

Tom /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    And for the blockbuster Xmas release from Gutterslut Video, "Martha does Blocks A, B, and C."

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

id pay 50$ to see it

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

You guys stop pickin on my Martha.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    id pay 50$ to see it

[/ QUOTE ]
    I wouldn't pay for it, but I'd still like to see it.

13. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I hope she goes to Man Jail. Anyone who makes $1 billion should be forced to go to jail for a while.

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Martha Stewart was not convicted of insider trading...

[ QUOTE ]
    Martha Stewart (search) was convicted Friday of obstructing justice and lying to the government about a suspicious stock sale, a devastating verdict that probably means prison time for the homemaking and publishing icon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you should read the news story before commenting.

Rene

15. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Martha Stewart was not convicted of insider trading...

Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Martha Stewart (search) was convicted Friday of obstructing justice and lying to the government about a suspicious stock sale, a devastating verdict that probably means prison time for the homemaking and publishing icon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps you should read the news story before commenting.

Rene

I know Martha was not convicted of insider trading. I did not say that she was.

However,It was the suspicion of her selling stock based on inside information gained from her relationship with the ImClone founder that got the Gov't interested in the first place, and a jury motivated by a dislike of her wasn't going to NOT convict her of something. It's also a truth that prosecutors like to have their careers advanced by these high profile cases, no matter how flimsy they are.

My point is that IMHO there was no crime, as people act on stock tips every day, but because it was her, everyone suddenly has a conscience.

Sorry my post was too subtle for you to follow.

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    and a jury motivated by a dislike of her wasn't going to NOT convict her of something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just how in the [darn] do you know what the jury was motivated by? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Dumping stocks based on insider information is only a crime if you work for that company, which she doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    I know Martha was not convicted of insider trading. I did not say that she was.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    Sorry my post was too subtle for you to follow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm, I suspect you own Martha stock... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Rene

18. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

<<Just how in the [darn] do you know what the jury was motivated by?>>

Not hard to figure that out.. Martha created some pretty strong negative emotional reactions from people, which makes her an easy target to begin with. Since there's no such thing as an impartial jury, It follows that the jurors would "strike a blow against the eeevil rich lady" to make a statement. Also, the interviews I've seen with Jurors indicate that they made their decisions based on their emotions towards Martha and not much else. Besides, every legal mind on the cable news shows predicted that although the Gov't didn't have much of a case, Her goose would be cooked because people hate her.

BTW, I like your anti - france sig.

19. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm, I suspect you own Martha stock...

Rene

LOLOLOL, Nope, I sure don't. I don't like her much at all, really, and I won't fund her empire by buying her crappy paint either.

I just get wound up when the gov't wastes it's time and my taxes on something I look at as a non issue from a legal standpoint.

20. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

The Feds charged her with insider trading, which allowed them to seize all her records and depose her until they found a discrepency. She was then aquitted of the charge but found guilty on charges that stemmed from investigating her personal records and deposing her. An acquaitance of mine made FAR more money insider trading, he was laid off of work for 6 months and had to pay the profits back to the SEC, no charges were filed. Why? because he's not famous and no one stands to profit from his fall.