Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Marvel Mystery Oil!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazin Ed, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Blazin Ed

Blazin Ed Registered Member

Got a stuck lifter sounding pretty loud... A friend suggested pouring some Marvel Mystery Oil down the crankcase to free it up. I've never used it before so I'm turning to the K5 guru's to give me their take on this. Have any of you used this to free up a lifter? I'm selling this soon so I'm looking for a short term solution..

Ed

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> That stuff freed up a sticky lifter on my old Toyota real fast. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The stuff is great. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I use it as a gas additive when I am going to do a long tow. It Almost smells good enough to drink /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I also throw a quart in the crankcase in all the engines I build for the break in period.

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i had 3 valves stuck... pured down carb... while running.... it was nice.... smoked like hell but freed them up....

5. Blazin Ed

Blazin Ed Registered Member

How much of this stuff should I use in the 350? Should I change the oil once the lifter frees up?

6. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

The amount to use is normally listed on the container.
    You do not need to change the oil after adding it.
    I believe the stuff was first made back in the WWII days to reduce friction of oil to allow the old piston fighter aircraft to obtain more power in climb conditions.

I have used it for years, it good stuff for keeping engine components clean.

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The stuff is great. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I use it as a gas additive when I am going to do a long tow. It Almost smells good enough to drink /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I also throw a quart in the crankcase in all the engines I build for the break in period.

[/ QUOTE ]

why when towing?

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Cleared the lifter tick on my old Impalla. It also makes an ok cutting fluid when drilling and works as air tool oil.

9. daimok

daimok Registered Member

GREAT stuff , I have seen it personally unstick piston rings on small engines that have sat a few years. 10 thumbs up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The amount to use is normally listed on the container.
    You do not need to change the oil after adding it.
    I believe the stuff was first made back in the WWII days to reduce friction of oil to allow the old piston fighter aircraft to obtain more power in climb conditions.

I have used it for years, it good stuff for keeping engine components clean.

[/ QUOTE ]

How often do you use it?? Every oil change?? In addition to the oil?? or in place of a quart?? I have to do an oil change this week, thought I'd give it a try.

11. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

You should just use it when you need it and not all the time. We sell the crap out of it at work. Also great filter oil for RC nitro cars.

12. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I use to get the pint can and add it to the oil every so often to after changing it to keep things clean. Also use to add a pint to the gas tank every so often to keep the carb, upper areas and valves clean.

There is also "Motor Flush" you can buy. This stuff is a solvent and will clean everything. It can also break loose some larger chunks which hopefully dont cause any problem before the filter can catch it. Basically add 1 quart before you change your oil and start the engine and let the engine "IDLE" for a couple minutes then drain it. I have used this on pretty old motors with good success on freeing up noisy lifters and upping the oil pressure.

I would suggest you go to the store and get a can of Mystery Oil before you change your oil, read the can and add it accordingly. You should add it after the oil change. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif