Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mass-Flo EFI

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by Madbomber88, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

Anybody know of this or have any experience?
    Very informative website that is quite convincing.
    Basically looking at this system vs the edelbrock MPFI to sit on top of a GM PP HT383. This is for my 72 K20
    Pretty pricey though
    http://mass-floefi.com

Basically, what do you think is better for this app? Speed density or Mass Air Flow fuel injection systems?

massflo.jpg

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Mass Air Flow meters do not like dirt or vibration. We subject our rigs to both of those items. The dirt portion doesn't look like it would matter in this case since they mount the MAF sensor inside the air cleaner but vibration will kill a MAF sensor and they aren't cheap.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't all new (maybe all OBD2?) GM's have mass airflow sensors, with MAP as backup?

As a follow up, yes they do. The trucks as well.

Where this "MAF's are weak" rumor came from I don't know. What part(s) are supposed to be weak? I'm a bit lost on this one. I've got a couple of MAF's, there isn't a piece on it that looks like it would shake apart short of trying to measure air rushing past the space shuttle on takeoff. How about dust? If enough dust gets past my air filter (yes, the MAF sensor is behind the air filter) to screw up the MAF, the motor is toast, period.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of MAF (even though that's what I have now) as MAP's are cheaper, and when dealing with OBD1, MAP is a better setup in all regards, except perhaps if you think "bolt on and go" is actually going to get best performance with MAF.

As to the linked site, there's a lot of hype in there, and I'm sure there are at least a few people in the world that would take offense to the comment "General Motors systems, for instance, do not respond well to major upgrades, and no amount of chip tuning or dyno time will make it right. They run, but not quite as well as they should." That's a load of crap, and right there would turn me away from that system. They talk a lot of smack about factory systems, then this: "Since our system is comprised entirely of components used on regular production vehicles,"

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have to agree with Dorian about all the negative hype on factory systems on that site. Sounds like BS to me. All the factory MAF systems I have worked with dont really need tuning or a new chip unless you increase the injector size and get real wild with the cam. Then you simply get a MAF calibrated for the larger injectors.
    The MAF system shown on that site uses stock Ford EEC1V ECM, stock Ford sensors and Ford Injectors which IMHO are better than Early GM ECM FI. But it does have a Ls 6 MAF meter. So It basicly uses all factory Ford and GM control and sensors. I cant see how they can say It is better than factory. If you put a Ford MAF meter on that system you would have ....well... A stock Ford system with a modified intake manifold.
    As for vibrations I dont think you have to worry about it. MAF sensors are pretty sturdy and beings it is a common GM or Ford part a spare(s) can be easily bought. Dirt can affect MAFs but they are easily cleaned. Most of the problem I see with dirty MAFs come from too much oil on a K&N type filter. Paper filters are best for MAF. But Mud and water will kill a MAF that is why they are not liked as well as MAP in 4x4 apps.

$3000? That is way too steep for EFI with a bunch of parts from GM and Ford that need black boxes to talk to each other.

You might check out Holleys EFI systems. They are MAP but they have a PC programable ECM instead of chips and work good.

5. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the responses. I was kind of turned off by the guy in the way he responded to an email I wrote him with some questions. Didn't win me over with his customer service.

Thunder, would you go with the Holley system over the Edelbrock Pro-Flo EFI (3507)?

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Personally I like the holley Comander and stealth systems better than Edelbrock. Both EDL and Holley are good FI. But it depends on what you want.
    I like the Holley system because it uses a laptop to program everything like Fuel, spark, ect. It has no chips that need burning if you change cams, add better heads, or make other major changes in air flow. However you do need a Laptop to program it. Holly has lots of BIN charts for many diferent engine combos you can download to get your engine up and running. Then you fine tune from there. IIRC Holley systems dont meet smog laws.

Edelbrock systems use a modified GM TPI ECM and need chips burned for the cam you are using to work. Then you fine tune it with a hand held box that lets you make changes in Fuel trim, Spark, timing advance ECT. The Edl system is designed to work best with Edlbrock cams. If you order their system and one of their cams they send a chip burnt for the cam. If you have your own cam you have to send them the cam card or all the info on the cam. So they can burn you a chip for your cam. Sometimes they dont get it right the first time and a second one may need to be burned. So you are waiting on the mail to get your engine running right. Any major changes in air flow will require a new chip.
    If you dont have a laptop, and dont plan on modifing your engine much after you get it up, running, and tuned The Edelbrock systems are good.
    Some EDl systems are 50 state legal smog . Some aren't

It just depends on which system fits your needs the best.