Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Massive CK5 road trip. Help me make it happen!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mr.smartass, Feb 25, 2007.

1. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Ok guys I need your help. After talking to Mr. Paul (CanmoreK5) on the phone about his diet plan, I mentioned that I might be interested in taking a road trip up to the great white north this summer and asked what some good destinations might be. After the discussion he sent me some pics of the national parks and areas near Canmore. The place is gorgeous. I’m 22, a senior in college at the University of Southern Mississippi, and I’ve never been out of the country, or any farther west than LA. Although I’m not graduating this semester this is probably the last chance I will ever have to take a trip of this magnitude.

Basically my plans would be to take about 2 weeks off this summer and make the drive. Then on the return drive hit the west coast. What I need from you guys is suggestions and advice. My only choice for vehicle is my ’94 Pathfinder but it only has about 61k miles on it. I would also like to meet as many CK5ers along the way as I can. If everyone is as awesome as the few guys I’ve met this should prove to be an incredible trip. I have atleast one friend who has said he might be interested in the trip, but if I can’t get anyone to give me a definite answer I’ll take the trip by myself, anyone want to go?

Things I need suggestions on:

• Route
    • Places to stay
    • Sites to see
    • Supplies (Food, Clothes, Spare parts, Weapon? Tent?)
    • Vehicle inspection
    • Which month to take the trip in (Late May, June, July, or early August)
    • Time management
    • Digital Camera
    • Ideas on total cost
    This is the route Mr. Paul came up with. It isn’t as boring as the route google maps suggested and hits a few major cities.

From Hattiesburg, MS:

1. US Hwy 49 north to Jackson, MS
    2. I-20 west to Dallas, TX
    3. I-35 north to
    Wichita, KS
    4. I-135 north to
    Salina, KS
    5. I-70 west to
    Denver, CO
    6. I-25 north to
    Buffalo, MT
    7. I-90 north then west to
    Butte, MT
    8. I-15 north to the Canadian border and then to
    Calgary

From there hopefully I would get a chance to meet Paul and maybe get a little guided scenery tour and hang out a couple days. The main attractions would be BanffNational Park and Kananaskis Country, and any other suggestions anyone might have.

The return trip from Canmore:

• Trans Canada Hwy West to Vancouver
    • I-5 South to Sacramento
    Ok here is where it gets tricky and I need help deciding. While there, I would like to visit San Francisco. But from there I would either like to head west to Vegas and the Grand Canyon, or continue south to L.A. and San Diego and then west to Phoenix. What do you guys suggest?

Any and all suggestions are welcome, if you think I’m crazy for trying to take a trip like this then let me know. The gf has already let me know that if I leave her for 2 weeks on a road trip that when I come back I’ll be alone, I’m willing to take this risk, and I’ve yet to run it by the parents (they are paying for my school) but I figure I’ll get a good plan together before I do that. The more feedback I get, the better I can plan, and the more I plan the closer this trip will be to becoming a reality.

If you need any more details on anything just ask. I’m on the boards daily and will be keeping this thread updated.

Thanks for everyone’s help in advance.

Justin Smith

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd be willing to make the trip down to Calgary to meet both you and Canmore :D

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

OOOO YAH!!!!

It's gonna be fun watching this trip evolve!!!!! :woot: :woot:

4. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I'm in Cowtown.........always ready willing and able!

Calgary Stampede, The Greatest outdoor Show on Earth.
    Starts Friday July 6th (Party for 10 days)............Ends Sunday July 15th.

Later Luke :laugh:

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Which happens to be my birthday...........:deal: :whistle: :thinking:

The last time my birthday was on the first day of Stampede, we had a little runaway for a day or two. :doah:

6. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Nice.........lets do it again:wink1: Show the man a good Alberta time.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Let me first start by saying that you'll need twice that amount of time to travel and get to see the sites and meet people along the way.

I'll also tell you that what your g/f has told you means that she isn't serious about you anyways.

You could probably save a little time on your return trip by not going into Sacramento if you are wanting to visit San Francisco. I could possibly meet up with you on your return trip on your way to San Francisco depending on day and time as i'm only 45 minutes from San Francisco.

8. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

BranndonC is planning his second annual BQ in July? Thats in Orange County, not far from Los Angeles. He hasn't set a date yet, so it could tailor to your trip.:D

9. K-5 Bomber

K-5 Bomber 1/2 ton status

Dude- road trip sounds like a blast, except that I got that whole "ex-wife" thing going on so I don't have that kind of expendable cash:doah: Hit me up next year if you plan it again. On-the-other-hand, if you are taking I-5 to Sac, you'll only be a few miles from Mt. Lassen National Park. You could spend a whole day there checking out the sulphur pits and hiking to the summit. I've heard urban legends that there's a book to sign in at the top, though I've never actually made it there- time restraints. To get there, you would take HWY 299 east out of Redding. You could then either return the way you came, or take HWY 44 or HWY 36 (connected by HwY 89 through the park) to Susanville and continue to Reno, NV. Yeah, they got the "ranches" there but I'm sure you have better uses for you $$$ and time:shame: From there, you could either take another side trek to S. Lake Tahoe by taking HWY 50 via 395 south, OR take I-80 West to Sacramento. Just to tempt you a little, the Rubicon is in the S. Lake Tahoe area and the annual Sierra Trek event takes place in Truckee. I don't know, personally those trails sound a lot better to me than the ranches, right:wink1:

If you plan on coming through Susanville, let me know.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If I had to choose between San Fran and LA/San Diego, I'd go to San Fran. That would allow you to more directly hit Yosemite and Death Valley on the way to LV.

That's not saying you won't miss PEOPLE by not going further south, I'm just personally not as impressed with LA as San Fran.

I did that trip (but opposite direction) 3 years ago, and the drive from LV to San Fran was awesome.

Might want to hit redwood national park on your way South from vancouver as well.

Late May would be my choice, all the kiddies are still in school, weather should be at least decent everywhere, and maybe(?) not so hot down South as it would be in August.

If you can, plan for more time, if you plan on visiting people AND seeing places, I'd be willing to bet that 2 weeks isn't enough time for that distance and any sort of enjoyment instead of watching the clock.

11. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I'm in Centralia, WA. It's on I-5, right between Portland Oregon, and Seattle. If you want my number, shoot me a PM. If nothing else, I'll run with you down the Portland/Vancouver area. There'll probably be some guys there willing to meet up and chat. :D

12. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

2 weeks really isnt enough time if you are planning on making several stops on such a long trip.

If you can plan it according to good camp sites over the course of the trip you can help minimize cost. A decent tent, a good ice chest,and a sleeping bag will be really helpful. Eating out adds up, so sandwich meat is good. Sunflower seeds and comedy radio/CDs help keep me awake for long trips. A friend or 2 would definitely be a good thing, as they cn keep you entertained.

I think you can have a great time on a road trip. I wish I could make one like that. Some day I might.

Edit: KOA campgrounds are nice and are located all over. They have good camp sites and a store at most locations. You could make reservtions where needed.

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm just East of Vancouver BC, so make sure to stop by and say hi while you're in this part of the world. Tons to see and enjoy while you're around here and I'd be happy to take you out and show you around a bit. Pm me...

Also going to say 2 weeks isn't gonna be enough. I drove from here to Austin TX and back in just under a week...didn't have time to see anything or stop long at anybody's place either. I figure three weeks would have been much better.

Rene

14. mr.smartass

I like the ideas so far guys. Early May would be nice but I'm thinking if I aim for later and maybe hit this Calgary Stampede up that will give me a month and a half of full time pay checks to help with costs. If I had to I could probably get off more time but I'd like to keep my job. I plan to focus most of my time in Canada and the return trip. I have more people every day say they would want to go, but I can't take everyone... and the number of people will greatly affect the plans. We'll see how it pans out. Keep the ideas coming, thanks guys.

15. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

come down to az, the girls are worth the trip if the wheelin aint!

it will be hot then, but night wheeling is what summer is all about.

july 1st -17th ill be in europe on my big trip but if you come any other time your welcome to a room at my place.

16. Col_Sanders

I have heard there are a lot of umm...easy girls there in AZ.:wink1:

17. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

not to stereotype here..

but there are indeed a large amount I have run it to that have no prolem getting friendly on a 1st date, hell I had one day bring over a cd full from a dirty photo shoot..she showed them to me on our first date!:crazy: :eek1: :laugh: :p: tempe and scottsdale have alot of girls that fall into the group for some reason. there is alot of nightlife, alot of who's who crap and alot of image. add guys who flaunt or make up the character or finacial life..and you sir have a friendly girl. girls want and seem to do the dirty to get a good catch, and there atre plenty of guys hust waiting to decieve them..thus you are left with a cute girl with crappy esteem. I go into 10-20 businesses a day with alot of girls at front desk or at dinners..I have not seen one in the last year that cought my eye they way my g/f does. lots of cute girls here, just alot of them have nothing besides looks and going dancing or drinking every weekend. the good ones are waiting quietly or are already taken.;)

18. Col_Sanders

mr smartass, hear that? Sounds like a good stop! Be sure to visit the Pig Pen afterwards!

19. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Why turn around in Canada? Alaska is only a day or two further. Come on up and we will put a few runs together. June 15-17 is the AK 4x4 Meet and Greet. It would be great to have the CK5 Brotherhood represented!

20. mr.smartass

Dude I would love to come check out AK, especially wheel it. But seeings how I'm gonna be pushing it with funds and time just to make this trip I don't think I could make it happen :( . Thanks for the invite though, I've thought about taking a cruise up there in the future and if I do I'll definitely take you up on your offer. :waytogo: Oh yeah I meant to ask about daylight up there, does Southern Canada have longer days?

P.S. If anyone is planning on a spring break trip to Florida or anywhere down here and needs a place to crash on the way, hit me up!