Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MASSIVE OIL LOSS..NEED HELP????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1BAD88, May 27, 2002.

1. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

I was pulling my trailer home this weekend and I started losing oil from the back side of the motor .The starter is soaked .I ran a search but no luck could this be a valve cover gasket leak it leaks mostly on the right side of the block .Could the distributer o-ring throw that much oil ? I lost about 2 quarts in 75 miles What do you guys think it could be ???thanks in advance for any help......

2. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

With that much oil I would suspect a rear main, is it leaking out the weep hole in the bottom of the dust cover? If not maybe could be a valve cover gasket, but it would have to be way way loose

3. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

It seems to be leaking down off the right top of the motor somewhere in the back by the distributer????????

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Another place to check would be oil pressure sending unit. It's mounted right beside the distrubutor.....

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Check your oil pressure guage fitting at the back of the intake for leaks. They can be hard to spot at idle but leak bad at speed. Make sure your breather or PCV valve is not clogged either as blowby can push oil out otherwise non leaking seals if the blowby has no where to exit. Valve cover leaks are usually pretty obvious, main seals are not and sometimes hard to pinpoint unless its running like niagra.

6. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

check your intake manifold gasket behind the distributor!! i've had one pinched by a shop doing a R/R swap on a defective motor i had got. it leaked oil onto the top of the transmission and must have just blown back, so i never knew it had a leak. well, then i ran low of oil and burned up the motor.

7. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

My best guess is that it is valve cover gaskets, although i am continually replacing mine because for some reason i cannot get the leak to stop, but the cork ones from advanced keep cracking. Even still I only loose 1 qt a week, but most of that is burned. maybe only really 1/8 qt lossed in drip. so like it was said earlier, must be really loose. Also no-one has mentioned oil blowing back up the dipstick tube (not likely but if it is, it is probably i big problem) Finally if you hadn't mentioned that the leak was on top of the engine i was going to tell you to tighten the drain plug, only because my very smart buddy didn't put his back in yesterday after changing the oil, and well 5 qts on the driveway later!