Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Master Cylinder Interchangiblity / Odd Brake Problems / I Hate Napa

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Resurrection_Joe, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Anyway my brakes are acting up, my good friend though I either need to adjust the rear drums on my 14BFF or replace the master cylinder, I have the cylinder swap down, but how do you adjust the brakes, something about sticking a screwdriver in the small slot on the back of the drum, jacking up the axle and spoinning the tire till the pad contacts the drum?

Anyway how interchangeable are master cylinders? I have a 78 cab and 85 front clip, the guy who built the body said it was an 85 half ton cylinder. So what the hell am I to do eh? I hate the NAPA man now because hes an ugly opinionated condecending and overall not nice degenerate of a worthless human being who deserves to die, and as such am going to order my MC online. So anyone with an 85 half ton or a 78 3/4 ton who has replaced their MC tell me whatcha got ok?

Hey thanks a lot, I appreciate your time!

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

AFAIK GM mastercylinders interchange freely.

But more to the point, If you local NAPA man is an Ahole, go to one the next town over! The local NAPA where I work are always trying to gouge me. I rarely take my business there (I'll walk in 5 minutes before 5:00, thats it). The guys a couple of towns over are COOL. They understand when I ask about non-stock applications, give me different price ranges if I want to spend or scrimp, and even give me their old application catalogs (they list all kinds of specs). Guess where I take my business? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

3. Resurrection_Joe

AFAIK? Huh? What the hell does that mean? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Yeah I would go to the next town over but its 56 miles away /forums/images/icons/mad.gif ! I'll probably order all I can from Summit Racing, they rock! The only place I've been that really had GREAT service is Chimney Canyon 4x4 in Rapid City, the owner, Charley Rupp, gave me a long arse tour of the place.

4. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Wow! Such compliments for NAPA! I really don't think you should over rate them that much! (ROFL)...
    In this neck of the woods I try and hit the Fleet/Farm or Farm/Fleet (depending on which is easiest to hit in my next trip outta the woods). They tend to have the applications catalogs going back into the 70's and beyond. Can't recall off hand what brand it is they stock, but the prices are MOST EXCELLENT! (Got my calipers from them when doing my 14FF/Disc conversion).
    Local United Auto is pretty good... (but they've given me funny looks when i start explaining i need this year such & such and something 10 years newer for the next part on the truck)

5. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I think you have to pass a 'condescention exam' to work at NAPA. If you are not a know it all prick whose opinion of your knowledge surpasses all others, you can't work there. Oh, I hate NAPA, too. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave 1/2 ton status

Gotta take up for NAPA. They dont all suck. My local NAPA counter guys are always willing to work with me and cross reference part numbers. AND GET A LOAD OF THIS!!! Once you become a regular customer (and I am sure we would all be considered regulars), the owner will open anytime anyday to get you a part. Has opened at 2am a couple of times for me. In my area it's Autozone that has the assholes with the classic "Uhhh My computer dosent list that application."

NAPA by far.

7. Resurrection_Joe

Hey I just said my NAPA guy was a pecker, I'm sure theres a few old world type guys who just want to make the world a better place out there. And I bet half of them are wheelers. Doesn't it seem to you that off roaders are the last real cowboys? Maybe I'm sentimental, but I'm one of the few peopel that will stop and help anyone on the road and prolly have to tools ot help em. Anyway I digress....

So what the hell someone answer my brake question, I like bashing aprts store idiots as much as anyone but there are tons and tons and tons of those types of threads, then again my answer is prolly soemwhere floating around like the proverbial..... uh..... goldfish? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

AFAIK= as far as I know /forums/images/icons/wink.gif