Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

master cylinder or power booster or ??

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Max, Jul 3, 2001.

1. Max

Max 1/2 ton status

Hey all,
    I am having a brake problem on my 71 Jimmy. I recently replaced my front calipers and have bled the brakes a few times. Now when i press on the pedal, it sinks all the way down and there really isn't much pressure back against the pedal. (not the best feeling when trying to slow down that much metal!). THe brake fluid levels are full and are not going down in the master cylinder. What should I do next??

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Max on 07/03/01 01:29 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Alot of people have had to power bleed ther brakes. Does the peddel start high and sink down or go straight to the floor? Is the Brake light on when the e-brake is off?

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

3. tshiko

tshiko Registered Member

sounds strange, check your lines for leaks, and if you think the problem comes from the booster, disconnect the vaccum line. If it's still so light, drive it slow and make sure you get a good response when you hit the brakes. If you had to bleed more than once, you might have a hole in your break lines that would explain both the lack of pressure and the presence of air in your system.

Good luck!

4. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

Your Booster won't make your pedel go to the floor. Your master cylinder could be bad. If your calipers are new that shouldn't be the problem. If it was leaking you would be losing fluid. If you bled it properly its probably then air isn't the problem. Proccess of elemination, must be the master cylinder. Cheap and easy to replace. Just remeber to bleed the master cylinder with a speacial kit you can get at any auto parts store. Hope this helps.

Rasberry 71' K/5 Blazer
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/71blazer>http://www.geocities.com/71blazer</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Rasberry on 07/03/01 05:17 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

5. Murph

Murph Registered Member

I went through the same process just a few years ago. Most people that I spoke with said that it HAD to be the booster (not cheap or easy to come by from my experience). It ended up being the master cylinder. I would suggest starting there since you need to replace the master cylinder when you replace the booster, the master cylinders are cheap and easy to come by, and it is most likely your problem. My understanding is that the inner seals are leaking causing no loss in fluid but loss in pressure. Good luck.