Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Master Cylinder Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by onlychevy6, Jul 25, 2006.

1. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

The rear bowl of your master cylinder feed the front or rear brakes? I had the master cylinder replaced, the booster replaced. And the rear brakes. the fronts are in good condition.

Today as i am driving to work my brakes go real spongy. i take a look just now and the rear bowl is almost empty again. WTF?

Please tell me what is going on. I am pissed now.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Rear bowl is for the front brakes.

Methinks leaky caliper or hose?

-- A

3. onlychevy6

thats what i thought. i will double check the lines. could the porportioning valve be causing this also?

4. dremu

Wayulll, combo valves rarely go bad.

They can stick one way or the other, though, if your brake system has air or leaks.

When you bleed the system after replacing the hoses or calipers or whatever, be sure to reset the combo valve by pressing the rubber button on the end of it.

-- A

5. onlychevy6

crap i dont think it was ever pressed. Never knew that the could be pressed. What does that Do? Mine is the original from 75.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

master cylinder..??

My 82 K20 with hydroboost empties the rear chamber of the master about every 2 days..its leaking right out of the master cylinder itself!..

I checked everything else from the master to the rear wheel cylinders,before I thought of looking there!--sure enough,a stain on the driveway where all the brake fluid landed!--and it ate the asphalt too!:mad: ..grrr!..now I need a master cylinder(35 bucks!)...:doah:--and a new inspection sticker!(29 bucks!)--AND the plates expire at the end of the month!(41 bucks!) :angry1: ..and I'm BROKE...
    Isn't life a JOY..:screwy: :screwy:

7. onlychevy6

yeah you would think that the master would be bad. Except this is brand new and no leaks from there.

8. dremu

All of mine are original -- as I said, the combos rarely go bad. Ain't much to them.

Best I can describe the button as a reset; there's a switch, if you will, that slides from the front circit to the rear, which as I understand it is what triggers the brake light to come on, if there's a catastrophic difference in pressure between front and rear... i.e. if one side is leaking.

BTW, does your brake light ever go on? The parking brake should also light it, but that's a separate thing entirely.

Anyway, the push button just re-centers the slider.

When was the last time your brakes were bled? As I keep preaching, garden sprayer, garden sprayer, garden sprayer... :D

-- A

9. onlychevy6

LOL... Actually my brakes were power bled 2 weeks ago. I just checked and there are no leaks coming from any of the hoses. I found the button you are talking about. and just pressed it. so we will see what happenens. As far as brake coming on. No it does not. That part of my circuit board has crapped out. Need to replace that.