Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Master Cylinder Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lax037, Jun 1, 2002.

1. lax037

lax037 Registered Member

I'm converting to a 1 ton master cylinder on my K5, only problem is that when I bolt it up, there is a gap between the brake booster and the Master Cylinder. Is this normal?

K5 is an 86, master cylinder is for an 86 K30

I could prob make a plate to go by the gap, but this will eliminate some of the travel of the pedal(not good) or I could just silicon it and see what happens, and suggestions or experiences with this would help

Oh yeah, reason behind this master cylinder swap is that I figured since a previous post went on about the difference between the master cylinders, and I was replacing it, I figured why not.

Thanks

Tom

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Is the booster not right? I could be mistaken, but on GM cars, if the Master Cylinder bore is too big, it won't "seat" into the pocket of the Brake Booster. Never heard of the same problem on trucks (different MC bore size and boosters not interchanging) but see if thats why there is a gap.

3. lax037

lax037 Registered Member

it's not that the cylinder won't go in, it goes in fine, there is just a gap due to the lack of a lip on the master cylinder. I'm sure silicon will be just fine the more i think about it, I guess there must be a difference between the boosters or something(uneducated guess).

4. Jed

Jed Registered Member

Don't the 1 ton and diesel trucks have 'hydro-boost' boosters run off the power steering pump instead of vacuum?

This doesn't necessarily mean that the master cylinders can't be swapped but if you're running into problems fitting it, I'd be careful. It may be an intentional design difference so they don't get intermixed...