Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Master cylinder replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NE79, Feb 11, 2002.

1. NE79

NE79 1/2 ton status

How difficult is the correct removal and installation of a new master cylinder? My brakes are doing the funny thing where every once in a while, the pedal travels all the way to the floor with no stopping and the e-brake light comes on. Brakes are bled correctly and there's no sound of air. No leaking out of the wheels or lines. I'm afraid that one day, i'll never stop!

uh-oh

2. NE79

NE79 1/2 ton status

uh-oh

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I bought mine a while ago. I haven't installed it yet. It comes with instructions to do a "bench bleed", which according to that is a must. Do you know how to bench bleed? if not, I'll be glad to scan that paper for you. email me if you need it.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

4. NE79

NE79 1/2 ton status

thanks, i saw that paper, too. Just wondering how hard the bench bleed is to do. Didn't look too hard, but that's when things always go wrong for me.

uh-oh

5. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

bench bleeding is a breeze
    to replace teh master, simply remove the 2 brake lines, remove the 2 nuts holding the cylinder to the booster, and pull straigh forward.
    Installation
    put a little lube on the rear where it slids agaist the firewall end, and slide ears over the 2 studs, and tighten nuts.
    to bleed, just install the 2 bleeder nipples where the brakelines go, and attatch short clear tubes to nipples, and fill cylinder with brake fluid. place end of clear tube into fluid (they usually come with a little clip to hold teh tubes secure in the fluid resivoir), and get in cab, and very slowly pump the brake pedal, until you get no bubbles. remove bleeder nipples and reconnect brake lines, and bleed entire system.
    some cylinders come with a bleeder kit that includes the nipples and the tubes, but if not you can buy a universal kit from NAPA for about $5.
    if any of this is confusing just PM and may be able to help
    it is probably more difficult to explain than to accomplish
    this really is a very simple project, and with about 3 wrenches and 30 minutes you can do the swap
    a rebuilt is about 35, and a new is about 80 at napa.
    chris

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's