Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Master cylinder Replacement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hardcore, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

My master cylinder in the K5 (1990) just took a dump. Going to get one from Napa. Can I get one from a 3/4 or 1 ton from that same year? Will it bolt up to the brake booster and all and will it give me any better braking with my 1-ton axles? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I know a 79(mabe) 78 3/4ton MC will take the place of a 84... take your with you and have them take a few out Im not to sure if mine gave me any better braking though because I also changed my front callipers and pads and converted to rear disks when I changed it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif someone posted the otherday about what 1ton non hydrobost fits

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

no the lines are swapped backwards from 1/2 ton to 3/4 and 1 ton, you should not need to go to larger m/c if your brake syhstem is in good shape, there is no need to swap

good luck

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The 1-ton MC isn't really an inprovement. It has a bigger bore that will make your peddle firmer and require more effort to stop. On the other hand a 3/4-ton booster is often a double diaphram and will provide for much less peddle effort...that is how they can get away with the bigger bore (same with Hydro-Leak...I mean Boost /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

5. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The 1-ton MC isn't really an inprovement. It has a bigger bore that will make your peddle firmer and require more effort to stop. On the other hand a 3/4-ton booster is often a double diaphram and will provide for much less peddle effort...that is how they can get away with the bigger bore (same with Hydro-Leak...I mean Boost /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

So would the 3/4 ton MC be a direct swap and will it provide any benefit to the 1/2 ton /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

all I know is yes it is a dirrect swap

7. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Anyone else, anyone done the swap on a late model truck with ABS??? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif