Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Master cylinder upgrade and ? ...

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mchance, Sep 6, 2002.

1. mchance

mchance Newbie

I just bought a 1970 K10. Yesterday on the way in to work, the brake pedal started fading on me. I assumed it was because the brakes were hot (stock drums all around). I let it sit all day, and when I went to go home, I found that the pedal was still fading. I also began to hear air escaping past the boot on the push rod and found brake fluid leaking past the seal at the cover.

I want to eventually upgrade to power brakes and disk (at least in the front) and I was wondering if you guys could recommend a master cylinder replacement that I could use now and after the upgrade since I have to replace it anyway?

Is there anywhere on this site where required parts lists for specific modifications are kept? For example - adding power steering to a 1970 K10 will require these parts.... My beast is pretty much bone stock as far a drive train and engine systems are concerned so there is a lot of conversions I want to do, but don't know where to start for finding parts or procedures or possible cross compatible parts (i.e.- how do you know that you can use el dorado calipers for disk conversion besides coming here and asking or reading /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif )

This is my first V-8 and my first American project car (I had a 1970 Porsche 911, but none of that knowledge will help me here). Any help with resources would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys...

Mark

2. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

I have no practical advice whatsoever but wanted to say welcome to the board! Sam...from Chevy4x4

My Jimmy was the 'delux' model, it has factory tilt steering, a/c, pb, ps, factory skid plates and an am/fm radio! I am living in luxury...course compared to my newer vehicle it is pretty old..but...

Sam

3. 6869704x4

6869704x4 Registered Member

If you cant wait, a rebuilt master cylinder is about $15. You have a couple of options for doing disc.
    Get the entire front axle from a later model truck. Maybe someone on this board has a 44 with disc. I know Ive read where some guys have put 60s under the front of their trucks. What did they do with the 44s? Look in the boneyards. A 44 in the front of any Chevy/GMC K/5/10 will work. If your really lucky you can find a 67-72 power brake setup to get the rods and distribution block you need. Use the booster/mc/calipers for a core. Get the rebuilt stuff for a 71/72 with disc. You can still buy it outright but you'll eat the core charge.
    Second option, which is what I wound up doing, is finding the parts off of an exploded 44 and get the axle shafts, steering knuckles and everything outboard of those. Then put the stuff on your truck. Mine had power drum so I used my booster/mc for the core. Got the proportion valve from a 74 K/10.
    Brake lines are another issue. I used the steel braided line. There are differences in the sizes and fittings but I dont recall the details.