Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Master Cylinder?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by seattle73k5, Nov 8, 2005.

1. seattle73k5

seattle73k5 1/2 ton status

Total rookie question about brake master cylinder.

I am about to install my poportioning valve for the rear brakes and don't want to cut the wrong line so I need a second opionion to make my nerves at ease.

the line that comes out of the master cylinder closest to the fire wall is the rear brake line correct?

cause that is the one I am about to cut.

PLEASE respond if you know the correct answer I am about to cut this line

thanks

2. seattle73k5

HELP !!! :confused: don't want to cut the wrong line :eek1:

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

On mine and every other old chevy i have touched the rear portion of the resivoir is for the Front brakes. Just follow the line to be sure...............unless your truck is all torn down

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Sorry I do not have an answer for you but I have two master cylinders at home the one on the truck has the larger line on the rear of the master cylinder and the one on the bench has the larger line on the front port of the master cylinder. Just some info, I think saying the one closest to the firewall might not be well advised.

Ira

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I thought one-tons were opposite of Blazers :confused: When I swapped my master for a late model C30 I think the rear line went to the rear brakes, but IIRC the Jimmy had the rear line at the front of the master cylinder. :crazy:

6. seattle73k5

now you guys have really got me confused.....

on mine the line closest to the fire wall is smaller than the line towards the front of the master cylinder....

which one would be for the rear brakes?

yes it is all torn apart.

also to add to this how long did it take you guys to get the air out of the rear lines when you replaced them for the 14ff swap..the fronts I seem to bleed fine but the rears are taking forever to get anything out of them but air.

7. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I had to run a good 1/2 qt. of fluid through before they were completely bled. Maybe more. There was a big bubble in there somewhere that was stuborn to get out.

The real test to see which part of the master cylinder went to which would have been to bleed the rear and see which reservoir dropped. I know my rear goes to the rear, and the front goes to the front ('79 Blazer).