Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MASTER CYLINDER

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Dec 19, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

If you have a half ton and need a new one anyways would it be a good idea to get a 1ton one and would it give you better stoping power? Also how hard would it be to put in?

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I replaced my stock 1/2 ton MC with one from a 1 ton. It has a bigger bore so it moves more fliud. Also it bolts right in place of the 1/2 ton unit.

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Bigger M/C bore = More fluid volume, less line pressure for a given input force.

Smaller M/C bore = Less fluid volume, more line pressure for the same input force.

4. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I beg to differ. I did this on mine and it made a huge difference. With less pedal movement, youre pushing more fluid into the lines. I would agree with your state ment if you also increased the line size to the brakes, but when youre increasing the amount of fluid flow into the same size line you get a quicker brake activation.

I had problems with mine and the 1/2 ton MC, couldnt get good brakes without going to the floor. Replace with a new 1/2 ton MC, same problem. Replaced with a 1 ton MC and immediately had alot better brakes.

I dont really want to get into the physics behind it, but real world experience says go to 1 ton. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Bigger M/C bore = More fluid volume, less line pressure for a given input force.

Smaller M/C bore = Less fluid volume, more line pressure for the same input force.

So what are you saying that either is going to give you the same brakeing power.

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I went to napas site and this it what I came up with
    Which one would yall recoment or not one of those at all? I looked thoug LMC and Chevy Duty LMC only has them for 1/2 and 3/4 ton and Im wanting a 1ton and Chevy Duty dosent have them at all Would it be best to get a GM? Im sure they cost alot more is the only problem on the ones from napa that require a core they wont take the 1/2ton for the core right?

http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/NAPAonline/search_results_kw.d2w/report?search_string=Brake+Master+Cylinder&org_string=master+cylinder

NAPA United Brake Master Cylinder - New
    Usually ships in 24 hours. UBP
    39435 $ 119.00

w/ 13" X 3 1/2" Brakes

Safety Stop Brake Master Cylinder - New
    Usually ships in 24 hours. USS
    4739435 $ 51.99

w/ 13" X 3 1/2" Brakes

Tru-Stop Master Cylinders Brake Master Cylinder - Remfd
    Usually ships in 24 hours. TSM
    101584 $ 23.49
    Core 19.00