Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Master Cylinder?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Confedneck, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

so im driving to the ups store today to ship a set of 12 bolt 5 lug shafts to tim..
    i hit the brakes hard because some assjack pulled out in front of me, my truck dove for the ditch like you wouldnt believe.. so i think to myself, you SONOFABTICH..wtf now..

i keep driving, i finally nursed it the rest of the way to the ups station, by braking and steering left.. i popped the hood when i got there, and there was some smoke, and what smelled like burning brake fluid.. checked the level, same as 2 days ago when i checked it.. so ok.. i go inside, stand in line for 20 minutes, ship the shafts and go back to my truck.. pop the hood and take a good look around, nothing obvious.

hope in to go home, now i have a soft pedal (which i had before with the truck, just ignored it), but this time it wouldnt stop and i had to yank it into first to keep from hitting the assclown in front of me who stopped in the middle of the road..
    make a normal stop, and its fine.. i think the m/c has an internal bypass and i think ill replace it with a vette unit... anyone else have any better ideas?? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

vette unit ?? and why ?? why cause conversion hassles for yourself ?
    does the pedal sink to floor when you push and hold it down ?

there is no intenral bypass, the m/c are very simple, they work alot like a syringe does, the shaft and seals fit tight in m/c casting bore and simply push fluid into lines in which builds up the pressur ein the lines system which is what moves the pistons in the calipers and the shafts and seals inside the wheel cylinders, its really basic, the seals simply wear out form age and from old fluid and you just have to replace units when the selas go bad, you cant expect rubber seals to last forever, are lucky to have anything last over a few years if systme is never flushed out with new fluid, in which pretyt much no one ever does, and brake fluid soaks up water by nature and is junk within a couple few years alreayd anyways, but no one worries about tit anyways, and then seals start failing inside componewnts of the braking system and them ppl wonder why it is happening and then they think that they need to "upgrade" to parts that wont evne directly fit their vehicles,

just get a new master cylinder for your year make model and be done with it if that is indeed what is wrong, it could also be wheel cylinder or caliper or line or hose,

if i am wrong then id like to hear it.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I don't think the master would be your problem. If the truck is pulling to one side or the other, It's a brake balance problem. lets say the left front caliper dooesn't work at all. When brakes are applied, the right caliper will be the only one working, which would make it pull right.
    If the right front caliper is dragging and the fluid is heating up in caliper, it will pull at first and then have brake fade from fluid failure.
    I would Ck all the brakes though. With short wheelbase trucks, as the blazer is, The rear brakes can cause the front to pull(because a rear brake can drag) Under normal, light pressure braking, some symptems may not appear. Under hard braking, use of more brake pressure, balance problems may seem worse.

4. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ... anyone else have any better ideas?? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you're the assjack/clown? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Confedneck

umm... the right era corvette unit is the same price, will bolt right up, and is designed to push more fluid for the disc/disc design system..

when master cylinders fail internally, it is normally because of an "internal bypass" ie: fluid bypassing one of the seals..

the reason i point to the m/c is because ive had a soft/fading pedal before.. and figure since the truck is 18 years old, i might should replace it anyways..

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think you need two new brake hoses and two new brake calipers and to bleed your brakes. Probably a new master just because the piston moved into a ratty part of the bore while you were bleeding them and it's probably shot now too. Either way, start with two calipers and two hoses.

7. Confedneck

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ... anyone else have any better ideas?? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you're the assjack/clown? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    not THE, but most definately an assjack LOL /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    hey wait, FU!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

When I do my swap from 4 wheel non-power drum to 4 wheel power disc, I am going to be using the Corvette MC as well.

I just thought it was funny how you kept calling everyone assjacks and assclowns because of the way they were driving, when REALLY, you are the one out driving around without brakes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Confedneck

lol i didnt know it was going to take a [darn] on me.. it was fine until that jerkoff pulled out in front of me and i had to mash them.. glad im not scared of blowing up the 350 and can downshift, steer and brake all at once..

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

although having brakes sure beats all that crap...

11. Confedneck

it sure would.. guess ill pick up a m/c this week..

12. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ... until that jerkoff ...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Oooooooh, so now he's a jerkoff huh? What happened to assjack and assclown? Was there something wrong with asshat, asspie, assface, and assgrabber?
    He was still not the one without any brakes! lol /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Confedneck

yes,hes a jagoff.. and i had brakes.. they were uh.. just biased?? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif