Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

master cylinder

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nicotine, Feb 18, 2004.

1. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

i bleed my brakes and i checked for leaks no leaks, also replaced my master cylinder gasket because it was leaking. but my brakes are still spongy and the brake light is on in the cab. Is master cylinder shot? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif if so how much does a new one run?

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

More than likely yes, had that happen to my pops' ride, replaced the MC and it was cured. How does the pedal feel?

3. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

the pedal is really soft felling and my rear drums hardly work all my stoping power is on the front disc's. how much was a new MC?

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Well his was for a Chrysler mini van, but it was only like $30, i think they are about the same for the GM units also, they really aren't that much, if you don't have much power to the rears, it may be bad, but that all depends on how much, "isn't much" as around 75% of braking power is through the front disks anyway. The backs are simply for control factor and assist of the fronts. I would probably just opt for the new master cylinder, if you have done everything else, and don't have any wheel cylinders leaking,,, the pedal doesn't "fade" does it? meaning while your holding the vehicle with the brake, the pedal will slowly drop/fall to the floor or head that way?

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Actually i just re-read your first post,,,what do you mean you replaced the master cylinder gasket,,,what gasket?

6. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

a MC gasket is the rubber piece you see when you pop the cover off. it has the two ruber pieces that expand and contract.

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Ok i just wanted to verify that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

is there a web site that i can get a estimante on a MC?

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

We just get ours at our local auto parts store, Autozone (lifetime warranty) Checker/Schucks/Kragen, Napa. Napa is usually more expensive though. Where are you at?

10. win717

win717 Registered Member

a new mc for my 79 blazer,the cheap one is 13.99 plus 7.50 core for reman(cardone brand)to 69.99 for a new one(bendix brand) hope that helps

11. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

You might want to try bleeding your Proportioning valve.

12. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

is the porportioning valve between the brake lines in the rear above the axle housing?

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

When you bleed the brake lines, your bleeding everything from the master cylinder all the way to each wheel, including the proportioning valve.

14. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    is the porportioning valve between the brake lines in the rear above the axle housing?

[/ QUOTE ]

The valve is usually mounted up front near the MC, ihave mostly seen them on the Chevy trucks mounted on the front cross frame near where the steering box is mounted, under the radiator.

15. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

oh okay i know what you are talking about now i am sure i have to bleed that to because i did not. thanks

16. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

As i was saying earlier though, it is part and tied in with the brake line system, when you bleed the brakes, your bleeding this item also.

17. landcrusher

landcrusher Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]

the pedal is really soft felling and my rear drums hardly work all my stoping power is on the front disc's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you tried checking your rear wheel cylinders? Mine went out and I fried my front pads from overworking them.
    Also: If you haven't already, you may just want to check the rear adjustment.

18. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    When you bleed the brake lines, your bleeding everything from the master cylinder all the way to each wheel, including the proportioning valve.

[/ QUOTE ]

But he said he was not getting any pressure in the rear. I had this happen on mine and it was due to air in the PV. I still had a steady stream of fluid coming out the back but very little pressure. Once I bled the PV all was good.

19. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

did u check to see that fluid comes out the bleeders good in the back? adjust the shoes?