Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MASTER PLANS INSIDE

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, May 14, 2004.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I have been working with another member here for a long time on a master plan for my hi pinion truck for me and my son to enjoy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifI would like to share some of these plans with other members,to get some feedback.Any comments welcome...... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif* THE FORMULA* Rear=..14ff 513s and detroit,and one of these http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-1410_Yoke/ along with a disk conversion,4 shackle flip,with 6 bds springs,custom cv shaft with 4 inch tubing....1 transfer case drop kit,1350 shaft to front axle,****custom built hi pinion with ARB,513s superwinch hubs****.Up front 8 bds springs,ord ext shackles,and zero rates.Grind callipers,and run 38x12 fun country 2 tires,eaton 15x12 black rims,re built 700r4....Redneck ram steering .Mild cam and heads ,350 motor.Do you guys think it is doable?I know what your all going to say about the tall lift so dont go there.Input,and feedback needed.if mabey im leaving something out,will get a winch later.....Jacob /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif SOMBODY ANSWER THIS TOO PLEASE!!!! http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1125808/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: MASTER PLAN

[ QUOTE ]
    No steering upgrades for now due to cost.Do you guys think it is doable?Input....Jacob /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You're going to die if you don't do something about your steering with 9" of lift.

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I will be back later to read this,have to go plumb in some gas piping,will be back!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ok.i was feeling the same way,but bobby seems to think not /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifwas going to go with redneck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gifcheapest i could find,jacob

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well Bobby has a 10 bolt in the front. Steering correction is much more effective for the 1/2 and 3/4 ton stuff than the Dana 60.

With 9" of lift, and front to back steering, with a Dana 60, trying ot steer will be a joke to put it mildly. With a 4" lift it'd probably be ok but crossover isn't optional with 9" of lift if you ask me, it's damn near required.

I wouldn't even leave the driveway without crossover with that much lift and a Dana 60. You've spent thousands on other mods that seem more, "Important". Don't half ass your steering.

Keep in mind also that there is no way a stock driveshaft is going to work with that much lift. You can grind and clearance all you want but at 9" of lift and a stock driveshaft (even if it was longer) you're still going to have issues with trying to keep it together.

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Oh wow.I remember you just freshly went through all of this,if thats right.do you think the redneck alone would do fine??jake /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif...........OH YEAH!!!! I WILL BE TAKING MY TRUCK OFFROAD ON MILD TRALS FOR NOW /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

wow, glad you mentioned it, I haven't been in the garage in like a year...

I agree with Tim, definately rig up a crossover. I dunno what you could cut for now to make up the cost, though. Setting up crossover shouldn't be that much though. I've been out of the game for awhile, but I think it can be done for under $100, redneck style.

I gotta get back into truck-building again...

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

**cough** /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am going to be busy for a while with all this stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Work Boy Work!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif So i guess my master plan really must be lame,lame, lame.Nobody even replied. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gifmust of been all that lift that scared em away???? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I'm not a fan of the tall lift, but to each his own. Most people think I'm nuts lifting a Burb /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif including my wife, kids, parents, brothers, in-laws....

But it all sounds do-able, and rather stout aside from the 700.
    I'm running one too and out of everything I plan on doing it will still be my biggest worry, but I love having the OD for when I do have to hit the road.

I think (after seeing this on others) that the hydro assist with crossover is about the best thing you can do for steering, even if your mainly hitting mild trails.

Plus I love the Fun Country's sweet tires for the mild stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

YAAAAY!!!! Finally a reply /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif cool.i just wanted someone to say something for heavens sake. Is there anything youd change other than the 700? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Not really.

That's kinda the same way I'm headed with my Burb, just doin the Hummer beadlock thing with a D70HD instead and dual ARB's.
    I'm keeping my 700 and sticking a doubler behind it (don't blow up, don't blow up, don't . . .) I'm just gonna get a Bowtie Overdrives stage III before I stick in the doubler though. Still gotta find that pesky 205 that I can afford too.

Most of the beef I'm putting into my rig is because of the excessive weight issue and not so much for hard core offroading.
    I'll play but I know my limitations with this rig too.

14. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Do you have an arb already?in the front?I only have one in my front hi pinion for now /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Nope, I had to get a new engine installed in my DD (fiero) first.
    Kinda sucked all the fun out of my summer budget for the rig.
    But I'll be going ARB and 5.13's in both axles. I'll get the rear all set up, order the rims from Stazworks, then locate the front and get it built too. Hopefully that will all be done by next spring then I can focus on the trans, and doubler before ordering new shafts.

Assuming nothing else breaks around here /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

16. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

this whole thing has been going on too damn long here too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif IM LOOKING FOR SOME MORE OPINIONS TOO /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Im not all that of a whiz,so help a guy out here /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Install crossover steering. The hydro-assist can come later.

Crossover is critical for a great steering system. I know because I broke the drivers side spring pack center bolts twice on my old 10 bolt front end, that had a dropped pitman arm and ext. drag link.

Imagine steering a large bowl of mashed potato's down the road /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif, and you might get the picture.

Whether you fab it or buy the parts, c/o w/ a big lift is not an option.

mtn. burb. From /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifwith crossover.

18. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

10-4 good budddy, so crossover first,and then hydro later? Crossover first? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would say buy the hydro assist box now. That's what I've got on mine and the hydro assist will be installed pretty soon.

It comes with caps for the drilled/tapped places. Then you simply install the ram and hook up the hoses and bleed the system and you're ready to rock with your hydro assist.

I would say that crossover is absolutely essential even for a street driven rig.

Knowing what I know now I wouldn't let a rig leave the driveway without the bolt on steering brace if it had crossover steering.

Hydro assist can come later, and will be more of a benefit off road than anywhere else. I'd highly suggest using it though, it will take a lot of stress off your frame.

I would also like to say that a 4" diameter driveshaft will quickly become a target for a large rock if you're not careful.

20. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would say buy the hydro assist box now. That's what I've got on mine and the hydro assist will be installed pretty soon.

It comes with caps for the drilled/tapped places. Then you simply install the ram and hook up the hoses and bleed the system and you're ready to rock with your hydro assist.

I would say that crossover is absolutely essential even for a street driven rig.

Knowing what I know now I wouldn't let a rig leave the driveway without the bolt on steering brace if it had crossover steering.

Hydro assist can come later, and will be more of a benefit off road than anywhere else. I'd highly suggest using it though, it will take a lot of stress off your frame.

I would also like to say that a 4" diameter driveshaft will quickly become a target for a large rock if you're not careful.

[/ QUOTE ] Hey there Tim /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Not to quote you.....but im confused. In the first part of your reply you told me to buy the hydro now.In the same reply you told me to buy it later /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif So crossover NOW ......and keep the hydro handy and ready for later???? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Crossover first? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif