Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mastercraft Reclining Seats

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Paxx, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I'm just curious about the belt situation with these seats. Usually the seatbelts would go through the seat and attach to a tube behind the seat. With the recliner how is it done? Does this comprimise its safety in the event of a collision or a rollover. What does your harness attach to? Anyone know?

thnx
    ~Max

2. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I asked about these seats a few weeks ago, nobody had any thing to say about them. probably too new, and dont forget pricy.

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Normally it would attach to the roll cage cross bar. I'd imagine that those guys would have made them pretty safe. I'd say that if the cross bar was kept up so as to not compress your spine in a head on or forward fall on the nose it would be safer. That way even if it was tilted down/back, the mount would be higher then your neck. I'm sure if you asked them they would have a better idea. Hope all is well in the great white north. Sounds like your getting the beast together. Can't wait to see the changes.

4. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

The belt/harness is supposed to go thru the two loops on the side of the headrest, not thru the two slits in the seatback itself - these are for ventilation.

Make sure the harness is not attached too low with respect to your shoulder.

Main reason I'm still using the stock belts with my Mastercrafts is that I don't want a crossbar in the cage at my shoulder level - that'll kill access to the rear bench completely, and at this time I'm still having the illusion that my truck seats four....

Did you want the recliners to adjust seating position, or to have access to the rear? If you're running harnesses, I'm not so sure how you'd keep the rear fully accessible anyways...

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I'm in the exact same boat. I am putting in a cage but want to have reclining seats. I'm leaning towards the Corbeau Sport Seat with some good saddleblanket seat covers. I think I will probably have the roll cage fabbed with some plate mounts put on the hoop just behind the front seats that allow for the stock shoulder style belts to be mounted the same way they are now with the slider hoop up high, the roller part that goes on the side of the body interior also on a plate in a similar location, and the floor mount now on the cross tubes that I will have the seats sitting on. The recommendation I had was to make sure that you don't have the seatbelts attached to the body if you have your seats attached to the cage. If the seat is still attached to the floor, then it wouldn't be a big deal. I would have preferred to go with some really nice harness style belts, but I also don't want to lose access to the back seat.

6. jms

The issue with harness-style belts is that they restrict movement - that's what they're designed to do. For regular driving and general trail riding, that's actually quite inconvenient - can't lean forward to reach the CD, reach back for a bottle of water, etc. Similar to when your automatic belts lock because the truck is on a really steep incline (btdt, and it's quite a nuisance...). So what I see the guys with harnesses do on the trail is they're not using the shoulder belts but only lock the lap belts. I understand why - to keep mobility in the shoulder area - but it doesn't make much sense to me to go thru the trouble of installing a harness if you're not using it. Just counterintuitive and all that.

One solution might be to use a V-style harness with a roller/automatic section attached at the end of a long 'V'. I can't remember who makes(made?) these; mounting point was either behind the back seat, or they were clipped into the lap belt on the back bench.

I originally was sceptical about having a seat w/o reclining adjustability, but after several trips halfway across the country and a whole bunch of trails in the Mastercraft Pro, I have no issues or regrets.

7. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I would use just the lap belt for normal trail riding but I would use the shoulder straps when approaching obstacles of an "extreme" nature.

The reclining seats would be mostly a luxury feature for me. A lot of the time when I am on a long trail run bouncing around for hours on end it would be nice to be able to tilt the seat back and have somewhere to stretch out for a bit. I'm not willing to add them if they will compromise the safety in any way.

I'm also thinking about having seat warmers added for those chilly nights with the top off :D Might be a bit over the top but hey, I'm worth it lol.

8. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Reclining seats are not suspension seats...as far as i know... So by going w. a reclining seat you loose the biggest benefit of an after market offroad seat. unless these are a totaly new concept, ive just never seen it done before...

9. jms

10. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Those are nice, but boy are they pricey. Can somebody explain exactly what a "suspension" seat is. I always thought that it was like the big rigs with a movable base up and down on a shock, or springs.

11. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

A suspension seat uses a nylon web and a cord wrapped around a steel frame with foam on top. no steel springs to bottom out. so the seat doesnt send a shock through your back on hard landings/ bumps because the cord and fabric can strech creating a much smoother ride.

BTW like i said...i guess i did miss it...:o