Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mastercraft seats mounted, Pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jms, Nov 16, 2003.

1. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Finally some breathing room at work, 3 of 4 deadlines mastered, another one Tuesday....

Installed my second Mastercraft seat. Driver's side is a new Pro, a deep bucket w/ removable cushion; passenger side is the Prerun model I had on the driver's side at BB'03. The removable cushion of the Pro has been built a bit thinner at my request so I can sit a bit deeper, that way the headrest is high enough so as to NOT snap my neck in case I'd get rearended. Here are the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Driver's side mounts are 5/16 grade 8 hardware; I'd like to get it a bit higher above the rail (it's 5/8" now, would prefer 1 1/2"); I think I might be able to get a few pieces of solid aluminum to cut spacer blocks. Passenger side is the stock tilt mount (thanks to backyardbuilt for selling me a spare set!) modified so that it's 2" lower in the front, then a 1/4" stainless steel plate and then the seat, all mounted with 5/16 grade 8 hardware. The rear bracket with the hook is mounted with four 3/8 grade 8 bolts. I used grade 8 1/2" nuts as spacers; all four are fastened with grade 8 flange-type locking nuts. Right now everything is solid and tight, but I don't like the stacked spacers. Either I'll go aluminum like I have planned for the driver's side, or I'll have a shop tack-weld the nuts so at least they can't move relative to each other.

Driver's seat position is nice, tight and comfy; seat belt length and position is probably o.k. I'll probably velcro/rubber strap the buckle so I don't sit on it every time I get in the truck, and then have to dig it out. I've driven the truck around a bit (actually only to the hardware store), and now I understand better what Stephen Watson meant when he told me he's always trying to feel what the truck is going to do in a given situation. With so much more contact area in the deep bucket, the feedback you get what's going on with the truck is much better without being harsh or uncushioned.

Getting in and out of the truck is a bit more of an affair, but that's where the roll cage literally comes in handy - NO yanking up on the steering wheel, took me long enough to rebuild the column!! So far, one day, and I like it!

2. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Very nice install, I'd like to get a pair for my Jimmy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Looks great, glad the brackets helped, so what is next on the list of mods now that, that is done.

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

nice /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Looks great, glad the brackets helped, so what is next on the list of mods now that, that is done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the brackets came in handy, didn't need the driver's side, but cutting into the passenger side felt o.k. knowing I had a backup. Not quite sure what's next. There are two things I'd like to do, fuel injection and beadlocks. Regarding injection I'm looking a bit around here to find a junk truck I could use the injection from. Regarding beadlocks, I'm looking to get SecondAir internal beadlocks; I found a guy in Colorado who's importing them from Australia. Haven't made up my mind (well, it's only money after all /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif). Also mulling a bit about x-over steering, but that's far down the list.

Meantime, I'll just probably build better mounts for my parts (axles, tie rod, etc.); my hi-lift bracket on the rollcage may need some tweaking, and I'd like to my tools to be more accessible. I ought to start selling some of my stuff, like tires/wheels, electric fans; I need to reclaim some space around here....

I'm also trying a bit to convince Claudia that she needs a K5 as well; not sure where this is going.... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif