Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Matching Camshaft to torque converter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Redfrog, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Why Do you need to do this, And what is involved in doing it
    What happens if you don't

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

First of all, what do you plan on useing your truck for ??? Rock crawling or mudding ??? A larger cam will make more power in the upper rpm's, so a stall converter will let your motor build the r's up and slam all the power to the wheels. Thats great for a hot rod, but not so great if your rock crawling. I don't know alot about 4x4's, I was a hot rodder in my youth, and had a monster Camaro, with a 292 magnum cam and a 3500 rpm stall converter. Big fun in a car, but I don't think It'd be good for a 4x4.

3. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You need to consider: Tire size, gear and the cam. When I did my motor I called B & M, they were very helpful. I went with a 1800-2200 rpm stall, I have .474/.510 lift cam, 4.10 gear.

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

5. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

That's what I was looking for Thanks, If Anybody has more info it would be greatly Appreciated. The only part that does not make sense to me is Why the cam will affect the stall speed is it because of the "power band" has changed from stock?

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Ah, I understand what your asking... Stall speeds on a torque converter are not static, they are relative to the amount of torque an engine puts out. For example, lets say a stall speed listings is based on engines producing 230lbft. of torque at 2,500 rpm. More torque at 2,500 rpm will give you more stall speed, less torque at 2,500 rpm will give you less stall speed than the stall speed ratings indicated. So if your cam moves your torque up or down the rpm band, your stall is sure to get effected. I think thats what you were origninally looking for, right?

7. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

That is the exact thing I was asking Thank you for explaining
    I makes sense to me now. Here is another Question for ya /forums/images/icons/smile.gif What is the factory lift for intake and exh in a 79' 350
    Thanks Again /forums/images/icons/smile.gif