Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Matching tires to rims, how to?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hoss, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Hoss

Hoss Registered Member

I'm picking out what rims and tires I'm gonna get. I don't know how to match measurements from rims to measurments from tires. I seem to get diameter to match ok (16 inch rim, 16 inch hole in tire), but I can't find matches on width. I'm getting 38 to 40 inch tires but looking though my 4x4 mags, I don't seem to find 16 inch rims with widths that match the tires width. Example, the largest 16 inch rim I can find is 10 inch wide, but 38 to 40 inch tires I find are all wider than 10 inches (by several inches).

-C
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.theonespot.com/myrides/suburban>1982 K20 Silverado Suburban</a>

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

the rule of thumb is 2" so a 12.5 would mount on a 10" rim
    must 16.5's get put on a 9.75 rim cus of the lack of a safety bead. most tires aren't in a 16. except a 38 x 13 x 16 swamper. or a 39 x 19 x 16 MT Baja belted.

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i found it informative to go to intercos www site (link can be found on the SSR product review) and check out what interco specs. They will tell you exactly what width rim they suggest for their tires. Its cool how they list the nominal and *actual* tread width/height too...

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Like 55Willy says, the 2" rule.

BUT, I would not apply the '2" rule' for tires larger than 40".

Since most aftermarket rims are limited up to 14" wide, that size is about the best and most appropriate size for the 17" to 19.5" wide tires, such as the Boggers.

If it were me, and my opinion, 38" and smaller tires can do fine and easier with 10" to 12" wide rims.

<font color=red>Only real men drive K30's!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

5. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

He's right, don't do anything less than 2" difference between tire and the rim. That's about the safest you can be. I have 18/39.5-15 Boggers on 15x14 rims and I had 16/38.5-15 on 15x10's. Don't get a tire that's no less than 12.5 wide if you're running a 15x10.

Pedal mashed and KICK'N ASS!
    WFO! Wide [censored]'n OPEN!

6. Hoss

Hoss Registered Member

Thanks for your replies!

Ok, so I found the tire I want (size wise): 38x15.50-16.5 (super swamper radial tsl) and according to www.intercotire.com, they list the rim size as 9.75x16.5. Thats a 5.75 inch difference. What effect would I notice between having a 10 inch vs a 12 inch wide rim on this tire?

Also, whats backspacing? I'm looking at Rock Crawler steel rims and some have a 4 inch backspacing and some don't.

-C
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.theonespot.com/myrides/suburban>1982 K20 Silverado Suburban</a>

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Even though they list the tire as being a 15.5 it is probably only 13 to the side walls. so I would think a 10" would be about right..whats keeping you from doing 15" instead of the 16.5" rims? I could care less why, I'm just wondering cus I'm gonna be getting new tires for Moab and was just looking for feedback. I like the idea of having a safety bead like the 15's and 16's have. 16.5 means you don't have to grind...the list goes on,LOL

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

8. Hoss

Hoss Registered Member

I didn't know about the differences from 15 vs 16 vs 16.5. 16.5 just seemed very common when looking for rims and tires. I did know about having to shave for 15, but not sure if I would for 16. The stock rims are 16 inch. Will aftermarket 16 inch rims fit the same as the stock 16 inch rims?

Whats the safety bead? Why doesn't 16.5 have it?

The Super Swamper Thornbird has a 16 inch 38 inch tire that would work for me if 16 inch rims will fit (dont want to use old stock rims) 38x14.50x16.

-C

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Will aftermarket 16 inch rims fit the same as the stock 16 inch rims?

<hr></blockquote> Yes they will.

if you can find the tire you want in a 16" like you mentioned then you are good to go. no grinding and you get a safety bead.

<hr></blockquote>

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I would say check the manufacturers recommendations and, for a off-road tire, go on the narrow side to help keep the bead seated at low pressure (also makes it much easier to reseat if you pop the bead!). Me, I went WAY under on my 42x15-15s with an 8" rim. That would not work on a street rig because it would cause excessive wear on the center of the tread a normal street pressure. Mine will see so little time on the street, I don't care. I just want it to stay seated at 10 psi. As an added beni, I can add the Rockstomper beadlocks (or similar) and still be narrow enough for the tire to help protect the rim.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I think the 2" rule is pretty conservative once you get up to about 31" or taller tires. It's not uncommon for trucks with stock tires in the 31" range to come with rims that are 3" narrower. For example, my Blazer had the stock 15x7 alloys with 31x10.50's from the factory, and Chevy has used a 16x7 rim with the optional 265/75R16 tires (equal to 10.5" wide) since the IFS trucks were introduced in '88.

The taller the tire, the more room you have to play with because the sidewalls are taller and have more room to be "pushed in" on the rim. It's kind of like driveshaft angles after a lift kit, put a 6" lift on a short Blazer and you will probably have problems with the rear driveshaft angle.....put the same 6" lift on a longbed pickup and there are no problems. You lifted it the same but the much longer driveshaft on the longbed has less change in the angle.

12.50" wide tires do just fine on 8" wide rims, and this setup is actually preferred by most members in our 4x4 club as it retains the tire on the bead better and protects the rims. We also have several trucks with 15-16" wide tires on 10" rims and they work good, most of them had tried 12" rims in the past and had too many problems.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, i mulled over this wheel width decision for a while...posted some messages about it here to. I came to the conclusion that, for me, 15x10 rims would be best. I plan on running tires ranging from 35x12.5 up to 39.5x15.5...and the 15x10 should have no probs with anything in between those 2. I wouldnt need wider rims unless I decided to go wacky and install some 18" wide 44s or something. ;)

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Yep, same here. I have 15x10's on my 35x12.50's but I don't really like them that much. The very edge of the rims (the rim lips) are getting beat up, the paint is worn off, and I constantly have to clean dirt out from between the edge of the tire and rim to keep them from leaking (we have to deal with a lot of ruts here in Ohio). The only reason I got the 10's is for the option of going to wider tires in the future, I would really like some tires with a 13-15" width.

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Yep, same here. I have 15x10's on my 35x12.50's but I don't really like them that much. The very edge of the rims (the rim lips) are getting beat up, the paint is worn off, and I constantly have to clean dirt out from between the edge of the tire and rim to keep them from leaking (we have to deal with a lot of ruts here in Ohio). The only reason I got the 10's is for the option of going to wider tires in the future, I would really like some tires with a 13-15" width. I also wanted to make sure the tires stuck out some to better protect the body.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd have 10" rims on 15" wide tires. My friends have all done it with 38s.

Otherwise, I'd fork over the money for 14" wide rims. 12" rims are a LOT more expensive than 10s. I'd just stick to 10s unless you have got majorly wide tires (17-19"). If you're into major width, get 12-14" wide rims.

I think my next set of tires will be 38-13-16 TSLs or 38x11x15 Boggers. I don't care for anything but the look of a wide tire.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles