Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Math SUCKS!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ryan B., Sep 19, 2002.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Okay is it just me?
    Math Fawkin SUCKS!!!

It's been since high school and now i gotta take algebra classes in College AGAIN!
    Whats with memorizing all this crap? Binomials, Trinomials, grouping with 4 terms, squares, cubes, Greatest common factor, inequalities.....
    (A+B)(A-B)=A2-B2

AAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I got a headache now.

I just have to pretend that i'm actually gonna use this crap like to figure out the compression ratio of my next engine or something or gear ratios.... and then i can pay attention and actually "get it".

Okay back to the homework. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I just have to pretend that i'm actually gonna use this crap. Like to figure out the compression ratio of my next engine, gear ratios or carb calibrations.... and then I can pay attention and actually "get it".

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear that!
    I would love to be in your shoes right now! You think it's a b!tch now, try to figure it out later -

If I wasn't such a dumb-ass, I'd be pretty dawg-awn smart.

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Calculas sucked! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    Calculas II sucks the MOST !!! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif
    Calculas III I haven't had yet but I bed it sucks too /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    Differential Equations That just sounds scary /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    Hell Two more classes and I could Minor in Math /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Best part about it is that each of our professors tell us we won't use %80 of the math /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

A few points to ponder from "Uncle Al."

"An Education. Is what you end up with when you forget all you learned in school."

"To me the worst thing seems to be a school principally to work with methods of fear, force and artificial authority. Such treatment destroys the sound sentiments, the sincerity and the self-confidence of pupils and produces a subservient subject."

[​IMG]

Albert Einstein

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I'm in calc III now, yes it does suck but you'll be glad you know a thing or two one day.

Also see: Jimmy Buffet song Math Sucks!

6. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

You may think it sucks now, but if you take a job that is highly mathematically based you will look back and be glad you saw it through. Without a good understanding of math fabrication is a difficult thing. Ever try to lay out a set of stairs? or a compound radiused angle? A lot of it you will be useless, but the base it establishes will be priceless. Of course then I am one of those freaks that actually likes math and science /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

YOU FREAK!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

So, is calc III the same as vector calc now?? It sucked big time when I had to take it. Then again, math has never been my strong point. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

8. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Starting in October... I'm gonna have to start taking all of that $hit! I start Kettering University on the 3rd, I'm going for a BSME... wish me luck /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

9. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Okay is it just me?
    Math Fawkin SUCKS!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Your not alone. Math does suck! My worst subject back when I went to school /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

10. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Just to cheer you up, been there done that, (Cal 1,2,3, diff eq, partial diff eq, linear algebra, applied thermo...etc) BUT I haven't used much of it since I graduated and entered the real world.

Good Luck!!
    Mike

11. mercercadet

mercercadet 1/2 ton status

without math and stats you wouldn't have the k5's ya'll love so much, so it can't be that bad /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

12. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Math sucks. I cannot pass algebra to save my life. I gave up. Funny thing is I took and passed chemistry with an A and the teacher swore I'd flunk not being able to pass algebra. I also passed geometery fine. I think part of my brain doesn't do algebra. At work we always have these studies come in and we read them about children. One thing I saw when I first started was people very artistically gifted can't do math really well. Makes sense to me because I am really good at art. I mean after all since when is everybody good at everything in life? Math happens to be an area like that for some people. So far I can get along fine without it. And I surely have never gone to the store and been stumped trying to buy x corn + y greenbeans = who freaking cares.... LOL /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

13. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

And I surely have never gone to the store and been stumped trying to buy x corn + y greenbeans = who freaking cares.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
    Math always made me feel sick to my stomach in high school. I some good professors in college and ended up being alot more comfortable with it.

14. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

You think math suck's using decimals (base 10)?

Ask any programmer what they think about mathematics using Hexadecimal (base 16) numbers.

YEEEEHAAAAA we're havin' fun now!

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

You know, back in the day when men where men and sheep were scared, I blew off math, flunked Geometry, always had the "I'm going into the Army to travel to exotic lands and meet exciting people and kill them" approach to life. Then when I got my new wardrobe and was flown to an exotic land, (Hawaii, killer waves dude and biga** sharks) I found out that my job, even though the basic job description was "Find the enemy and call the tanks in", I found out that algebra and geometry was something I needed for several tasks that was a responsibility of mine.

Things like finding the radius of a curve and finding the grade of a hill was things that blew me over. Then one day, I watched this guy do a bridge classification (that's where you measure this bridge and figure what the biggest vehicle, i.e. 2.5 ton truck, M-1 tank so on and so forth can use the bridge) using nothing more than his M-16 rifle. Wild sh*t!!!!!!! Of course, that wasn't the best, the best was using math to figure out just how much C-4 was needed to take down a certain object.

Now you are probably asking "Bubba Ray, WTF is your point?"
    "Well Ryan, I'm glad you asked that question. As you should know, ole Bubba Ray very rarely has no point and in this instance, ole Bubba Ray has no point once again except for 'unless you are blowing sh*t up, bending DOM for that bumper or figuring out what gears you need, MATH SUCKS the south end of a north bound horse."

16. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

HERE HERE Brother Boudreaux /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

17. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Tonight, chem. sucks. Just finished my chem. test, and you could probably count the score on one hand. I am not very fond of chem. currently. Oh well, I guess I will have to bust my ass so I can pass, then graduate, and make money to pay for my bad habits. Fairly bummed about that test. Mines is dam hard.

18. red66scout

red66scout Registered Member

Well, I guess I am the old timer when it comes to college math. I am in differential equations now. It is not that bad. I can not comment on calc II or II since Mines puts them in the opposite order that every other college does. That helps with physics, but still. Vector calc was my second clac class, then 3-d calc. diff eq is not all that bad, you start with stuff i had in calc III and make it harder.

hard is physics II, electricity and magnetism. when the class average for a test is a 58, then you know the class is hard.

the nice thing is the higher up the class, the more you can actually use it. all of the examples in diff eq re real life examples. bear with it and all will be good in the end.

bryan, get over it, Mines will kick your butt. i guess i forgot to tell you to bring the vasaline to the test with you. it gets better, and then worse, and then better. you get used to the beatings they call tests.

19. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Ask any programmer what they think about mathematics using Hexadecimal (base 16) numbers.

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="green"> Yup, things get confusing fast when you need to count to D... /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif </font color>

20. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Call me a freak/geek -- I was a math major in college! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Don't know what the flip I was thinking but I'm grateful looking back. Math teaches logic basically and every profession I know uses math one way or another. Grin and bear it, you'll get the hang of it -- just a matter of time and effort.

If it were possible, I'd trade some math skills for some auto repair knowledge any day. Any takers? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif