Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Math "Word Problems"

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jan 8, 2006.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

My math teacher said these aren't really important anymore, as they don't use them in University anymore nor in college I think she said. True or False?

I have never been good at them and I want to improve as they easily relate to every day things. Is there a booklet or book or anything that will give me a whole bunch of questions with step-by-step answers included?

Thanks....

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

it depends on what you call a word problem. In some lower math classes, you will get stuff like if you have 85 feet of fencing, what is the most area you can fence in. Crap like that.

Or there will be a pic with words, like a pic of a radio tower, and the words will say if this is 125ft tall, how long of a guide wire is needed if it is achored 50ft from the base.

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I've seen word problems in upper level physics and calculus (of several variables).

I say False.

For instance... you have a steam pipe, 4 feet long travelling through a room, transferring 400 degree farenheit steam. The pipe is 1/4" thick steel. How many joules is given off by the pipe, and how long will it take to warm the room up 1 degree farenheit from room temperature.

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I think it's sad you're being taught with an intent purpose to pass paper tests

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

agreed. Especially fill in the bubble tests. Where is the thought process in multiple choice? Word problems make you think more and work through more things. The idea of phasing them out is a scary statement of the education system.

6. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Most of the math problems I've done in the past couple years have had a ton of letters in them. More letters than numbers. But they're not english and they don't make sense to me. Which is why I wasn't in school last semester.

Wait, I didn't do any work.....:doah:

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

When I mean word problems I mean it just doesn't say "2x-12=36" haha or another example but rather it says it all in words and I need to make an equation from it, then solve.

All my tests are NOT bubble tests or mult. choice. They are all where they give you a question and you have to answer it.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just look around. Every problem you work in the real world is a word problem. Critical thinking and the ability to distill a problem down to simple math is being lost IMO. I have no idea where to find a collection of such problems, but congrats on recognising their importance.

9. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

X=24, Good luck Steve

10. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Now, find the second integral of that equation ;)

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

never had a calc class without word problems of some kind. Calc was invented to solve such problems. Taking the word problems out of it makes it both a) boring and b) an excersize in punching calculator buttons.

j

12. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Well, with the lame ass WASL (Washington Assessment of Student Learning) around here that was designed to test the effectiveness of the teachers now determining graduation, the entire high school has been turned to teach how to pass that test. Disgusts me.

The test is all write out and explain how you found your answer though, which is the one good thing about it. I remember having to graph a goldfish population for one question. :doah:

13. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

So to sum it up, your teacher was wrong. i used 'em all the time last semester in Calc I, especially those damned related rates, i still do/will have nightmares about those things, and i still have more to do.. good luck, sorry i dont know any sources for them, kinda depends on the kind of math you're talking..