Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

max lift w/o driveshaft mods

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bodacious, Feb 19, 2007.

1. bodacious

bodacious 1/2 ton status

Ok, this might get a little long, but I just want ya'll to know how I got here. I've heard that 6" is about the limit, but here goes:

I started out with a 4" all spring Pro-Comp lift and 35x15.50 TSL-SX. The width caused them to rub when lightly flexed. Trimmed the fenders slightly. Added ORD zero rates to the rear to fix the K5 "saggy butt". Wasn't tall enough. I bought 3" blocks for the rear, moved the zero rates to the front and added 1" lift DIY 4x4 shackles. 7" rear, 6" front. I just installed a ORD 1" body lift and body mount bushings, which gave me about 1.5". Total lift of 7.5 to 8". I bought some 38x15.50 TSL Radials from Mr.Chevy4x4 Saturday. The fenderwells are FULL of tire now. I'm pretty sure they won't rub, but I would like a little more room. I am thinking of buying 6" springs, and replacing the 4 inchers, and leaving all the other stuff there. This will give me 9" in the rear and 8" in the front.

Will this be too much lift for the factory driveshafts? As of now, I have no driveline problems. Thanks for any advise/help/comments.:waytogo:

2. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

with a 6" lift you can get them to work. but you would be better off at least extending the rear.

3. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

He's got that right now, I think he's wanting to go even bigger.

It's tough to say since there is no golden number for being the limit for factory shafts. With 8-9" of lift you're going to start experiencing just as many angle/binding issues as you will length issues.

I'd stay where you're at and trim.

4. bodacious

bodacious 1/2 ton status

Her's how it looks as of now:

Skint Back Pics 001.jpg

5. bodacious

bodacious 1/2 ton status

One flexing, a little. I think I'll be OK. I just won't be able to disconnect the swaybar.:wink1:

Skint Back Pics 004.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  6. bodacious

bodacious 1/2 ton status

Gonna have to wheel w/ the 38s before I can really make a decision.:waytogo:

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It looks great on the 38's.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Take a very close look at the CV joint in the front driveshaft. It should be very close to binding. One good axle-droop situation can pop the CV apart. :( You're probably high enough to warrant taking the CV apart and grinding it for clearance.

Nice looking K5! :cool1:

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I had trouble at 5" of lift.

10. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I had ~6" of lift in the rear and ended up having an odd "hum" when I was on the freeway at higher speeds and the stock driveshaft. (45+) I ended up rotating the spring perches and going CV shaft which cured it. It wasn't vibrating so it might have just been a worn joint, but I think 6" is probably really close to the limit on a stock shaft if you drive fast.

11. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Man the truck looks great on those tires! Did you have any adventures getting them home?

Thanks again for a great transaction! :)

Mike

12. bodacious

bodacious 1/2 ton status

No trouble getting them home. Everything went good. My tire guy was not real happy when I pulled up at his shop Monday morning, though.:D Breaking down 35x15.50s and mounting 38x15.50s almost got him, and the 38s barely fit on his spin balancer. Oh well, he got compensated well. It was good dealing with you Mr.Chevy, thanks again.:waytogo:

13. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Funny, my tire guy did his share of grumbling as well! :)

He said the same thing about having a hard time spinning them on his machine.

Do you like the way they ride? How did they balance?

14. bodacious

bodacious 1/2 ton status

I LOVE the way they ride. No problems balancing, very little weight for such a large tire.:waytogo:

15. SUPERSUB87

SUPERSUB87 1/2 ton status

same here. i have a six inch lift and i'm having to extend the driveshafts a whole 2" almost. It pissed me off so much. I was going to use that money for a new carb too.:mad: makes me wanna hurt beavers.

16. edreid

edreid Registered Member

Ok sorry to steal someone elses thread but I am new to this. I bought a used 8in lift, springs in the front, and four inch springs with four inch blocks in the rear. I had planned on doing the shackle flip in the rear to eliminate the blocks giving me 8 inches all around. (i believe) Will I have to purchase new d shafts front and rear? As far as extending the drive shafts is that common practice? Or is it a better idea to just replace the d-shafts?

17. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

I had trouble with 4" lift, the rear d-shaft vibrated so bad! I had a shaft on order when my stock rear U-joint nearly blew out, lucky I caught it in time.